Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My son has an HP OMEN 870-244.  We bought him a Raedon 6600 GPU for Christmas. The place where we bought it, Microcenter, checked it out to make sure that it was compatible. 

We deleted the old display drivers, and tried to install the Raedon drivers with the Raedon driver installation app, and it starts working, but in the end it says that the computer does not recognize or see a GPU.

We tried to manually install it as well. 

So he takes it to a shop, and they sell him 750 Watts power supply, and it installed.  Still, no GPU. 

We updated the BIOS, successfully, and still no GPU.

We tried installing the Raedon drivers again with the installation app. 

Still, does not recognize or see a GPU. 

Poor guy is at his wits end.  We have pulled the GPU and installed it in another computer, and it does work. 

We have been to a couple of computer shops, but no one really has a handle on what the problem is. 

Any help is appreciated. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may have to disable secure boot in the BIOS for a legacy video card like the Radeon HD 6600 graphics card to work in a PC with a UEFI BIOS such as the HP Omen 870-244.

See this link for the location of the secure boot setting.

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 10, 😎 | HP® Custome...

I recommend just disabling the secure boot setting first and not enabling the Legacy mode setting.

If the card still isn't recognized, then try enabling the Legacy mode setting.

HP Recommended

We disabled the secure boot, and tried to install the drivers again and it still does not recognize the GPU.  So now we are going to enable the Legacy Boot. 

HP Recommended

If this is the model graphics card you bought, it should have worked in the PC as is.

AMD Radeon™ RX 6600 Graphics Card | AMD

I was thinking you installed one of the old Radeon HD 6xxx graphics adapters.

If you bought the RX6600 unfortunately I don't know why it isn't working if you also connected the supplemental 1x8 Pin power connector to the card.

HP Recommended

We looked at that again, and we have the twin fans, so I think 6650 xt. 

We did everything that you said, and when you use the AMD installer, at the end of the installation, it says that it did not detect an AMD gpu.   

This is after disabling Secure Boot, and enabling Legacy. 

HP Recommended

hi

I have already been told that it did not work, but sometimes it helps, I had replaced a graphics card like this
if you have serr pci option in bios, disable there
I can't find the associated hp document

but we see the option here
https://support.hp.com/sk-en/product/hp-xw8600-workstation/3432827/document/c01316837

otherwise a user reported with a clear CMOS

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-500-214-trying-to-a...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem could be.

That card should have worked with Legacy mode disabled and secure boot enabled as it is new.

I recommend that you disable Legacy mode and enable secure boot again, since those are the default settings.

Sorry that I wasn't able to help you get the graphics card to work.

Hopefully, the suggestions provided by Prométhée will do the trick for you.

HP Recommended

I recommend that you disable Legacy mode and enable secure boot again, since those are the default settings.

So I went back and disable Legacy mode, and enable secure boot. 

the suggestions provided by Prométhée

I disabled PCI serr, and pulled the battery for more than 30 seconds to re-set the CMOS.

I don't know if this helps, but this is what it does:

If the GPU is plugged into the slot, and the HDMI video cable is plugged into the motherboard,  there is no display.

If the GPU is removed from the slot, and the HDMI video cable is plugged into the motherboard, it produces a display (meaning I get a video display, not that the GPU is working).  

The GPU fans will spin for a few seconds and quit when plugged in.  

I don't know if this additional information is useful or not. 

HP Recommended

hi

I leave the priority to @Paul_Tikkanen  ..
but just, have you tried, secure boot disable and, pci serr at the same time?

and follow the answer

""

My Solution:

1. Unplug the Power Cord from the PC. Press the Power start button in the front of the PC.

2. Open the side cover of the PC case.

3. Touch the Power Supply, to ground yourself.

4. Remove the PCI bracket holder from the back to the PC case that secures the PCI cards to the back to the case.

5. Remove the blank PCI bracket cover.

6. Install the new Graphics Card, making sure to not touch the gold contacts, into the PCI Express x 16 2.0 slot & makes sure it is secure in that slot.

7. Connect the DVI cord from the monitor to the DVI connection port on the new GT 1030 Graphics Card.

8. Find the CMOS Jumper.

9. Pull the jumper from the 1&2 position and place the jumper on the 2&3 position for a few seconds, then place the jumper back to the original 1&2 position.

10. Install the PCI bracket holder.

11. Plug in the Power Cord to the PC Power Supply Unit.

12. Press the power button on the front of the PC.

13. My computer showed boot startup post and went into windows 10 Home Password request.

14. I went into Nvidia to download the software I needed and the Monitor controll panel to setup my displays to my preference.

15. I shut down the PC.

16. I then installed the PC case side cover and tightened the screw.

17. Finished and working fine.

The funny thing of this, was at no time did any of the support teams, suggest to reset the CMOS on the Motherboard. LOL, I should have know to do this from the old days of installing HDD's.

""

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c05369438

"If the GPU is plugged into the slot, and the HDMI video cable is plugged into the motherboard, there is no display."
If the GPU is removed from the slot, and the HDMI video cable is plugged into the motherboard, it produces a display (meaning I get a video display, not that the GPU is working).

Normal, the motherboard must detect that the slot is occupied, so no display, but it seems that the graphics card cannot work!
@o @Paul_Tikkanen  any other ideas?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I have no other ideas to offer and am stumped as to why the graphics card didn't work right away,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.