Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 22cw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I recently purchased a HP 22fw Monitor to replace my HP Pavilion 22cw monitor. After getting the new monitor (22fw), I decided to use the old monitor (Pavilion 22cw) as a secondary display. They are both using HDMI connectors.

Upon plugging both HDMI connectors into the two HDMI slots on the back of my Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card, the old monitor (Pavilion 22cw) flashed up with the following:

"Input Signal Out of Range!"

"Current Mode : H = 56.6kHz V = 50Hz"

"Change Mode to 1920 x 1080 - 60Hz"

The new monitor (22fw) worked just fine.

I did not understand why this was happening because the resolution and screen refresh was already set to what it was saying to change it to.

The error flashed up for a few split seconds, and then cut to a fully black screen, and the power indicator was still glowing white. 

I tried to access the monitor menu screen, but pressing the menu button on the old monitor did nothing. All I could do was turn it on and off.

I also tried disconnecting the power cable from the old monitor, waiting 5 seconds and plugging it back in. Still, the problem persisted. 

When I tried switching the HDMI connectors arround (Plugging the 22fw into the one the 22cw was in, and then plugging the one the 22cw was into the one the 22fw was in), the new monitor then started to have the same error as the old one, with the old monitor then comming on. 

I tried to change the resolutions of the monitors in the settings on my computer. (OS: Windows 10 64 Bit). Changing the resolution only increased how many times the error message would flash up on the monitor. 

I cannot understand why this is happening; everything seems like it is set to what it should be. It's also upseting because I spent a fair ammount of money on this new monitor to use both at the same time, and only one works!!

Is it a problem with the Monitor, HDMI cable, Graphics Card?

Thank you for reading. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Archie041

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the display. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

Yes, after going through the diagnosis you've done, even I suspect it could be the graphics card.

Try swapping the HDMI cable's with the HDMI port's in the graphics card.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION I FORGOT TO INCLUDE!!

After conducting further testing, I then decided to plug the new monitor into the HDMI port from the motherboard, and then I used a VGA connector to plug the old monitor into the VGA from the motherboard. Both monitors then came on and are working as I would've hoped them to if they were plugged into the Graphics card.

I now believe that this is a Graphics card fault, but I may be wrong.

Obviously, keeping the monitors plugged into the motherboard is not ideal, as I use this computer as a Gaming PC, and I have an expensive graphics card which I would much rather use. 

If anyone knows how to fix it, the help would be greatly appreciated!!! 

HP Recommended

@Archie041

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the display. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

Yes, after going through the diagnosis you've done, even I suspect it could be the graphics card.

Try swapping the HDMI cable's with the HDMI port's in the graphics card.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you very much for the help!

I've managed to somehow get everything working, I just kept swapping the HDMI ports on the graphics card around, and switching HDMI leads, and then suddenly, they both came on!

Guess it was a graphics card fault after all.

Thank you for the help!

HP Recommended

@Archie041

Hurray!!! I'm delighted to hear that it's working!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.