Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Windows Mixed Reality 1000-100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! I have an asus ROG strix laptop and when I hook up my hp 1000 wmr headset and play games in steam link my headset shuts off and my laptop refuses to recognize the headset any further. I can play games for about 5 minutes before they shut down. I have noticed the gpu gets up to 100% usage in task manager. The laptop is running a 1050ti gpu and 16 gb of ram. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@samwhite756,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Make sure your headset's USB and HDMI cables are securely connected to your PC.

2. Try unplugging both the USB and HDMI cables from your headset, and then plugging them back in. When plugging in the USB cable, try to do so quickly (try not to pause during insertion of the USB cable)

3. Open Device Manager and confirm that your headset is listed under "Mixed Reality devices". Double click on your headset under "Mixed Reality devices" and confirm that the device status indicates "This device is working properly."

4. Look for any yellow exclamation marks on devices listed in Device Manager. Yellow exclamation marks indicate any errors reported by the devices connected to your PC:

Mixed Reality Device appear in Device Manager

Ensure that the headset driver is installed: If you see "Hololens Sensors" listed with a yellow exclamation mark, double click on the device. If you see a "Code 10: The drivers for this device are not installed. There are no compatible drivers for this device", follow the instructions below to manually install the headset driver.

Note for Windows 10 N users: If your PC is running Windows 10 N, you'll see a "Code 28: The install class is not present or is invalid" error in Device Manager after plugging in your Mixed Reality headset. Unfortunately, N-editions of Windows 10 are not supported by Windows Mixed Reality. Follow the instructions in this section for more information.

If you alternate between multiple headsets on your PC: If you have and use multiple Mixed Reality headsets on your PC, and have manually installed the Mixed Reality headset driver before, in some circumstances, the manual driver update may only apply to the headset connected at the time, and not to your other headsets. In this case, you'll see "Code 31: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). The ALPC message requested is no longer available." To resolve this, in Device Manager, right click on your headset under "Mixed Reality devices", and click "Uninstall device". Click OK to confirm, and then unplug and replug your headset.

Other useful troubleshooting steps: Make sure your headset is connected to the correct ports on your computer:

• Your headset's USB cable should be plugged into a USB 3.0 port. Try another USB 3.0 port if possible.
  • Your headset's HDMI cable should be plugged into your PC's discrete graphics card.
  • If you're seeing partial enumeration of the headset (a series of USB devices enumerate, but nothing under "Mixed Reality headsets" in Device Manager), consider trying an externally powered USB 3.0 hub.

Lastly, try connecting your headset to another PC, and open up Device Manager. Even if that PC is not fully compatible with Windows Mixed Reality, you can check to see if your headset enumerates. If your headset does not enumerate on multiple PCs, it could have a hardware issue.

I get a message that says "Check your USB cable" or "Insufficient USB speed"

Make sure that you're using a supported USB 3.0 port on your PC:

• Make sure that your headset's USB cable is plugged in all the way.
  • Run the Windows Mixed Reality PC Check app to make sure your PC's USB 3.0 controller is supported.
  • Try each of the other USB 3.0 ports on your PC. Some PCs may have more than one USB 3.0 controller.
  • Try temporarily disconnecting all of your USB devices attached to your PC, and connecting just your headset.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

Hello! I really appreciate your reply. Unfortunately that did not help my situation. Other PCs can find the device, but I do not have another PC capable of testing the headset on to know whether it is the headset or the pc. I should mention that when the headset crashes windows does not recognize it at all, and therefore there is no error in the mixed reality portal. 

HP Recommended

@samwhite756,

I recommend you uninstall the mixed reality software from your computer and then set it up fresh and check.

Follow the steps in the below article for setting it up.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05625894

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@the_fossette

Hello! 

I tried your solution, unfortunately it did not help. I also found out the mixed reality portal was not using the nvidia gtx as the main graphics card, so I changed it back. This helped quite a bit, but the headset still shuts off randomly and then the computer refuses to recognize it as a usb device until it is restarted.  

HP Recommended

@samwhite756,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.