Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z24f G3 FHD Display
Ubuntu LTS

My monitors fail to wake up after going to sleep. While the HDMI cable connected and the workstation on, the monitor reported "Display Port: Inactive; HDMI:Inactive" and went straight back to sleep. The only way to reactivate is to hard restart the work station, which is unacceptable - a lot of work progress lost. Does anyone have the same problem?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CassLi wrote:

My monitors fail to wake up after going to sleep. While the HDMI cable connected and the workstation on, the monitor reported "Display Port: Inactive; HDMI:Inactive" and went straight back to sleep. The only way to reactivate is to hard restart the work station, which is unacceptable - a lot of work progress lost. Does anyone have the same problem?

Something seems strange where I cannot follow the problem.

Does the monitor go to sleep but the computer is awake and running?  If so, then unplug the monitor and plug it back in.  Obviously this is a temporary fix and a slight improvement is to put the monitor on a switched outlet to make it easier to power off and on.

Does the computer go to sleep in addition to the monitor and then neither of them wake up?  If so, there is something wrong with the sleep function in the computer.  I have several systems running 18.04 but the run 24/7.  Go to askubuntu and see how to change from sleep to hibernate.  What is probably happening is ubuntu wakes up and thinks the monitor is already awake. In hibernate mode, the system actually shuts down and then turns back on which should handle the monitor better.  Just a guess but I have seen this same problem with windows and the solution was (1) to hibernate and (2) put all monitors on a switched outlet.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hello CassLi,

My suspicion is that it's not your monitor failing to wake up when your computer wakes up, but rather your PC failing to wake up from sleep. Could you provide a little more information on your computer hardware? What kind of graphics card are you using? Do you have the proper video drivers installed?

--I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Matt429,

Many thanks for replying.

It seems that there are some files corrupted on my machine, causing weird issues. I posted the question originally trying to sort the issues out myself but decided to ask the uni IT to help because I wasn't getting anywhere. Hopefully this will be resolved soon without completely rebuilding the machine.

Best regards,

Cass

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.