Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPx 2310 microthin LED
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Sorry if this is the wrong board.

My monitor keeps going black for a few seconds then comes back as normal with the monitor staus window showing HDMI ACTIVE for a couple of seconds. Then everythin OK for a few minutes, then same again.

I have tried a different HDMI moitor and all is OK, so it is not the computer.

Any ideas please?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @PROMSAK, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you turn on the monitor it goes black for a few seconds and turns back on again.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Are you using any connector to connect the monitor?

Have you tried checking with a different video cable?

Have you tried connecting the monitor to a different PC? Does the issue persist?

As you mentioned when you turn on the monitor it goes black for a few seconds and turns back on again.

Try checking with a different DVI-D Dual Link cable and if you are using any connectors try with a different one.

Try the steps recommended below.

1. Cycle the power on the monitor as follows:

1. Turn off the monitor. The power light on the monitor should be off. Leave the computer turned on.

2. Unplug the power cord.

3. Wait 5 seconds.

4. Plug in the power cord.

5. Press the power button on the monitor to turn on the monitor.

One of two things happens:

• The image from the computer displays on the monitor and you can use the computer again. This indicates that the monitor was unable to detect that the computer had awakened from suspend mode. Turn the monitor off when it is not being used or disable suspend mode on the computer. For some computers, updating the BIOS can correct these types of suspend problems.

OR

• The power light on the monitor comes on but the screen displays one of the messages again. The monitor is not receiving a video signal from the computer that it can detect and use. Continue using these steps.

2. If the computer is on, wait until the hard drive activity light on the computer is not lit and then press and hold the Power button on the computer case until the computer turns off.

3. If the monitor has a factory reset or restore option, set it. Press the Menu button on the front panel and select Factory Reset.

4. Wait 5 seconds and then turn on the computer by pressing the Power button again.

5. Adjust the Windows display resolution to a setting that is compatible with the monitor.

NOTE:

The best possible resolution quality for your monitor is the native resolution. The native resolution setting for your model of monitor can be found in the Monitor User Guide, the monitor's product packaging, and product specifications.

1. Restart the computer and press F8 repeatedly after the first logo screen.

2. Select Enable Low Resolution Video (640 x 480) from the Advanced Options Menu.

3. Windows should open showing a Windows desktop in a resolution of 640 x 480. Icons and windows appear much larger on the screen. You will need to use the Windows scroll bars to access the lower buttons in some windows.

4. In Windows Vista, click Start , Control Panel, and click Adjust Screen Resolution in Appearance and Personalization.

In Windows XP, click StartSettingsControl Panel and then double-click the Display icon and select the Settings tab.

5. Move the slider bar until a compatible resolution for the monitor is set, click OK.

NOTE:

You should notice a change in resolution after selecting OK - the icons and windows should appear smaller in size. If not, adjust the display resolution again.

6. Restart the computer.

7. If the native resolution is not available from the slider bar, click Advanced Settings, click List All Modes (from the Adapter tab), select the resolution, and click OK.

8. Restart the computer and note what happens.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot display issues with the monitor. Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-value-23-inch-displays/7274744/model/4156529/document/c00061...

If the issue still persists try updating the BIOS and graphics driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Change the resolution on your PC and check if it helps.

• Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button 

The Start button

, clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution
  • Click the drop-down list next to Resolution, move the slider to the resolution you want, and then click Apply.
  • Click Keep to use the new resolution, or click Revert to go back to the previous resolution.

If the monitor works fine on a different PC, it is an issue with your PC. 

Refer the monitor user guide to further troubleshoot display issues. Link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01996633

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you MrRobot for your swift help.

I 'chickened out' and went and bought another second hand HP monitor.

I plugged it in to the PC (Win 10) using same cables etc. and PC as before. Everything is working fine, so I think I can rule out the PC as being the problem.

As soon as I've caught up with my missing emails et. due to the blinking monitor, I'll  have a go at your useful suggestions.

Thanks again. Brian.

HP Recommended

@PROMSAK, Thanks for your quick response and time too.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you replaced the monitor with a different one and the monitor is working fine now.

I'm glad to know your issue has got resolved. 

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This relates to the E231 EliteDisplay monitor, but the issue is identical.

I work for in IT for a county in California.  We have about 50 PC's with single and dual installations of the E231 and have experienced this intermittent off/on condition for some time.  We recently began the rollout to Windows 10 and have been installing on about 6 or 7 models of HP ProDesk, EliteDesk and EliteBooks (with the 2013 dock) and seeing this issue.

Updating the BIOS, the drivers, and the display settings does not appear to change the condition.

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.