Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 875-1022
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Nvidia 2080Ti graphics in my 2+ year old HP Omen computer (which is out of warranty).  When running certain programs, the fan on the card kicks up to 5000 rpm for 5-8 seconds every 10 seconds or so, and is noticeably loud.  I've run analyzers and determined that while the graphics card is in the upper range of permissible temperature, it is not overheating.

Nvidia support was not much help.  Basically they confirmed that the issue was with the fan and suggested that I replace the card.

Is it possible to just replace the fan on a card like this?  Could this be a tuning issue, or an incorrect parameter somewhere?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

First, unless the fan is actually unusually very noisy, replacing the fan will not fix the problem.  Getting replacement fans for graphics cards can be done but it might be tricky to find one that will fit nicely.

The fan is controlled by a thermal device on the card, so when the fan speeds up, it is the thermal sensor telling the fan to run faster to cool down the card's devices.

Replacing the graphics card may be the simplest option but graphics cards have had a massive price jump lately, so be prepared for that.

Looking for replacements fans - I found this.  See if any of those might be acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=replacement+graphics+card+fan&crid=3VFHRSQAXWK1M&sprefix=replacement+grap...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.