Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion P7-1120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two computers (P7-1120  with a HPS2031A  monitor and P6716F with a   HPw1907 monitor). The icons fit on the smaller 1907 screen but not the bigger 2031 screen. In changing the monitor resolution on the bigger one, I only have two options (1024x768 and 800x600). Neither of them allow  ALL the icons to appear on the screen! Whereas, they all show on the smaller screen that has a resolution of 1280x1024. There is no option for 1280x1024 for the larger 2031 screen! Anyone know a workaround to get that screen size on the 2031?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@dead-Dave1 Here's all you need to do, to resolve this issue, change the DPI scaling to adjust the icon size:

Step 1: To adjust scaling, simply open the Settings app by clicking on All settings in the Action Center, then clicking on the Settings icon. You can also type Settings into Windows Search, or click the gear icon in the Start Menu. From the main Settings menu, click on System. Then click Display in the left-hand menu, and then take a look at the Scale and layout section.

Step 2: Look for the Scale and layout section in this window. Here you will see options for adjusting the size of your apps and text, changing the resolution Windows is set to, and adjusting the orientation of the screen. These are typically set to “recommended” numbers based on what Windows 10 knows about your display. If Windows 10 doesn’t know what it’s talking about, click on the bars to make changes. Changing the size of your text and apps is an easy way to adjust the scaling. Just pick a percentage from the list, anywhere between 100% and 300%, that’s more in line with what your display needs.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle Decipher, I did all that you have suggested and made the display setting the smallest it could be (100%) but the icons are still too big. My HP S2031 Monitor says the display size is 1024x768. I've already deleted many of the desktop icons but there are more that can't be displayed because there is no more room to display them. Is there any other way to make the icons smaller so that more can be displayed?  Thank you, Dave

HP Recommended

@Deaf-Dave1 Well, you could organize it with folders instead having multiple icons all over the desktop, that said, if you've changed the dpi settings and yet it didn't do the trick, you could also try: Right-click (or press and hold) the desktop, point to View, and then select Small icons.and check if that makes a difference.

Keep us posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle Decipher,

That was one of the first things i tried.. I guess i'll have to delete some and put some into folders to fix the problem.

Seems counter intuitive  that  I can't make the icons smaller on a bigger monitor. Thank you, Dave

HP Recommended

@Deaf-Dave1 To be honest, scaling the icons DPI settings is the only way to make any real change to the icons, and since you've already done that, there isn't anything else offered by Microsoft to help you in this scenario.

Let me know if you need anything else,

And have a good day ahead.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher, I thank you for trying to fix this vexing problem. Be that as it may, i can't accept it as a solution despite your best efforts to find one. Not your fault this problem exists but it is what it is. Again, thank you very much for reaching out to help me. Much appreciated, Dave

HP Recommended

@Deaf-Dave1 The pleasure is all mine

Have a good day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.