Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy All In One Model 27-b145se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After computer startup, the mouse pointer is in a strange state where it is only visible when being moved ( and it flickers while moving). As soon as movement stops, the pointer disappears. At the same time there is a mouse cursor in the Cortana search box.

Another symptom also after startup, random mouse clicks appear at a high rate on the touch screen. The clicks are mostly in rows at the top and bottom of the screen. The rate of clicks makes it impossible to do anything and the computer has to be shut down.

Other times like now everything is perfect. I have changed keyboards and mice with no effect. I have used both wireless and wired keyboards and mice. No effect. I have run all the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics. The diagnostics program says everything is fine.

If it is in any way related, the HP Support Assistant keeps telling me there is a new version of the BIOS, F.80, I should install. When I try this I get an error message saying I am trying to install a version of the BIOS older than what is currently installed. The Hardware Diagnostics program says I have BIOS revision F.24 installed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, your computer and phone always want to be ready fast but should be fully rebooted regularly.  Selective startup is fine. Well done on helping yourself and learning. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@GReisz

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

If the issue persists please try a System Restore to an earlier time before the issue started https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you @KrazyToad for the detailed response. I already had the HP Support Assistant installed and have run it in the past. I just checked to be sure I have the latest version. I do, Version 8.8.34.31. It says no updates available. I installed the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics program several days ago (Ver 1.6.7.0). I ran System Tests and Component Tests. They all came back good including the interactive tests.

On 2/13, I went to the HP Drives and Software site to check for any updates. 

a. On 2/13. Installed new BIOS. I had AMI V F.24, 2/26/2018. New version is AMI V F.36 Rev A, 11/25/2020.

b. On 2/14. Installed Intel High Definition Graphic Driver, sp111696.

c. Installed Intel Management Engine Firmware Update, sp112123.

d. I could not find any mouse driver updates.

e. I did learn about the MS System File Checker program. I ran this as "sfc/scannow". After completion I got message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them". I ran SFC a second time and the completion message was "did not find any integrity violations".

I was hopeful all of these updates would fix the problem. On 2/15, when I started the computer I got the same bad behavior.

a. On the first start, the mouse pointer was flickering when moved and immediately disappeared when movement stopped. I shut down the computer.

b. On the second, third, and fourth starts, I was getting the very fast random mouse clicks all over the screen. I can "see" these because it is a touch screen and the "touch" circle appears each time. Shutdown can only be done by holding in the On/Off button for five seconds.

c. On the fifth start, the mouse etc. worked perfectly. Last night I did not shut down the computer and the mouse is still working correctly.

For the System Restore: The oldest one I have is dated 2/13 so that won't do me any good.

I hope you have other ideas of how to fix. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hello. Reset your desktop background to a solid colour.  Sometimes a custom background that has very high resolution causes issues as windows doesn't set high quality backgrounds as default and will also have to resample it to the correct size.  Also in the control panel, disable mouse acceleration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrAn4pojHgU

HP Recommended

Hello @Stevecomputer, I tried your suggestions. I set the background to black, the simplest of all options. Before it was a slide show of photos. I got rid of the mouse acceleration. Just in case I set the mouse schemes to None. After a complete shut down, when I started the computer it was basically the same behavior. On the first start the mouse was flickering, maybe not as bad, and disappearing. As before there was a "touch" circle flickering in the Cortana search box. The mouse cursor will suddenly jump to the search box and act as if I had clicked there. This causes that apps and other shortcuts box to appear. I was able to shut down the computer. This time I am getting normal behavior on the second startup.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really wished they had worked.

HP Recommended

In the control panel, mouse properties again, see if the option "automatically move pointer" is checked, it is best unchecked.  With the computer off and the mouse unplugged, try cleaning it gently.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJW9J4yoecw

HP Recommended

The "automatically move pointer" option is off and has been for years. I never liked that option. The mouse is clean with a new battery. I have used two wireless mice during this debugging. Same results with both. I have also turned off the mouse when I am getting the random clicks on the touch screen. Makes no difference. The random clicks continue.

HP Recommended

Are they bluetooth or wireless mice? Are you sitting near your router, sometimes a strong wireless signal can interfere.  

HP Recommended

Also, do you use any macro recording or speech to text?

HP Recommended

1. One mouse is the HP wireless mouse which came with the computer. It connects to something built inside the computer. Technically I suppose it might use the Bluetooth protocol. HP doesn't say how the connection works. The HP "wireless" keyboard uses the same connection. The other mouse is a Logitech which connects to a tiny Logitech receiver you plug into a USB port. I think I may have plugged in a wired USB port mouse at one point with same results.

2. The router is 20 feet away.

3. No macro recording or speech to text.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.