Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE H8-1234 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently removed the AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU from my desktop and replaced it with a Gigabyte GTX 1050 as well as upgrading the PSU to a 600W unit I had lying around. Once I power on the system, it'll get to the blue HP splash screen that tells me to press Esc to get to setup options. I cannot press Esc to do anything, mind you my keyboard is clearly connected and I'll hear a beep every 30 seconds or so. After five minutes it'll go to a black screen, then it hangs there for a few minutes before it takes me back to the splash screen except there are red/pink "hieroglyphics" at the top of my screen. After another minute I get the Windows 10 loading screen, then I'm presented to my lock screen. At this point either I am at 1280x720 resolution and everything is functioning properly, or sometimes when I attempt to boot it'll be "punched in" showing me the top-left corner of my screen filling my display, with the bottom and the right of my desktop being off-screen but I can still interact with things that are there if I use Magnifier and scroll over. Using the old graphics card does not do this, it just boots into Windows 10 normally. I've tried disabling the security setting on that PCIE slot in the BIOS, but thast just makes it beep six times and refuses to startup until I remove the CMOS battery. I am unsure what to try as this boot issue is terribly frustrating and I'd like my GPU to display things properly all of the time and not partially depending on when I boot my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nevermind, I fixed it. Just had to update the BIOS & the computer boots up just fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@BeeWavez
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see that your experiencing issue with the new graphics card not working properly. I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What happens when you start the computer? Are you able to boot into windows desktop?
  • Have you tried with the old graphics card?
  • Are you getting any error message or code?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When the computer boots up, I'm stuck at a blue HP splash screen with text at the bottom telling me to press Esc to enter startup, followed by a single beep every minute or so. Pressing Esc yields no response. Then it takes a minute or two to get to a black screen, followed by that same HP screen with what looks like red/pink "hieroglyphics" going along the top of the screen. After another minute I'll see the Windows logo, then after a few more minutes I'll get into Windows 10. Once I'm in Windows, it either displays everything fine or I'm "punched in" to the top left corner of my display with my desktop bring cut off on the right and bottom of the screen, but I can still interact with what is off screen. Using the old graphics card, I can get into Windows within 40 seconds with no issues.

HP Recommended

Nevermind, I fixed it. Just had to update the BIOS & the computer boots up just fine.

HP Recommended

@BeeWavez

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.