Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0020 with AMD Ryzen 5 2400G processor. I have recently purchased a new LG tv and would like to use it as my primary monitor. This computer has always given me trouble connecting to various televisions and monitors, and this set up has been equally difficult.

In order to get the television to recognize a signal from my PC, I have needed to unplug the HDMI cable from both the television and the PC after each restart. If I were to restart the computer without doing this, the television would stay on it's rest screen without getting any signal. The PC display is too unreliable to switch between monitors or do any dual monitor set up, so for now I need to just work on getting the television to reliably work as a monitor for the PC without having to unplug cables each time. 

The PC also does not recognize the speakers for this television or any television / monitor during my 2 years of owning it. I have always settled for sound through bluetooth or aux jack, but this is another problem I would like to fix (perhaps in a separate thread). 

I have followed the troubleshooting guide on this website with no success so far. Please let me know what additional information I can provide to help solve this problem.

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @maxmt123

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the HDMI issue.

Let's try these steps -

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
2) In Device Manager, expand Display Adapter. 
3) Right-click on the Display Adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
4) Restart the computer. 

Download and install the BIOS, Chipset drivers from this link

You may also refer to - HP PCs - Troubleshooting HDMI Display and Sound Issues (Windows) 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding! I am going through your steps and want to record my results as I go.

I have switched to using an older Samsung LED TV for testing, because it is more reliable in terms of showing the display after restart. First thing I did was go to device manager and uninstall the two drivers I have in Display Adapters, "AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics" and "Radeon RX 580 Series". The screen went black and then came back, and the drivers reinstalled themselves right away (normal for display adapter drivers I think). I restarted the computer and the TV's speakers are being recognized by the PC. This is great progress and I hope the fix is permanent. I restarted again to test it and the speakers are working great. 

Next thing I did was attempt to use my LG TV as a secondary monitor. My computer has one HDMI port and 4 display ports, so I used a displayport adapter to hdmi cable going to my TV (which does not have a displayport unfortunately). The connection worked after a little fiddling. I played with the display settings, and was disappointed to find that I couldn't get the Samsung TV to be the primary monitor #1. It defaults to #2 and the option to change is grayed out. Next thing I did was restart the PC. Unfortunately neither monitor recognized the signal coming from the PC on restart. I think that since the LG TV is set as the primary monitor, there is something wrong with it's ability to receive a signal from the PC.

After that I turned off the PC and unplugged all HDMI cables. I restarted and used only the LG TV as a monitor after the computer had booted up. This worked for video, but the audio is back to having a red x over the icon in the tray. The automatic troubleshooter does not find anything wrong, and the PC does not recognize TV speakers again. 

Next thing I will try is uninstalling device drivers and restarting PC again, but I expect that the LG TV won't recognize the signal on restart. That's the problem with testing a failed HDMI connection, every restart is a hassle since I will probably have to unplug all the cables or change monitors. If that doesn't work, I will get into the BIOS settings. 

Thanks again for your response, I am happy with the progress of the PC recognizing the Samsung TV speakers.

HP Recommended

@maxmt123

Keep me posted 🙂 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Alright here is progess report #2. I followed the link you provided and did the bios update and amd chip update. I am happy to say that I can now get the PC to recognize the LG TV speakers without needing to use the Samsung TV first, but the problem still persists with needing to unplug the HDMI cable every time I turn the PC on and off. The PC seems to only send a signal if I manually remove and reattach the HDMI cable. It could be a problem with the LG TV, but I have tried cycling the power on the TV and it hasn't yielded a result. 

So far I would say we are half way to solving this problem. Are there other steps I can take?

HP Recommended

@maxmt123

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.  It's absolutely normal and a feature by design. It's not an issue or problem with your computer.

I would recommend checking with the different TV will ensure whether its computer or TV compatibility issue. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Echo Lake,

Thank you for your response. I don't fully understand how this would be a feature by desigin though. Every time I turn on the PC I need to unplug and replug the HDMI cable for it to send a signal to the television. This definitely does not seem like a feature or design. Any other computer (like my old Toshiba laptop) will immediately send a signal to the TV when I turn it on or plug the cable in. The HP Pavilion PC is the only one that has this issue, and it is very inconvenient. 

If it is a feature, I would very much like to turn the feature OFF so I can enjoy using my TV as a primary monitor without having to unplug cables each time.

HP Recommended

@maxmt123

Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, this feature cannot be disabled as its system managed. 

Also, you can perform this workaround once the external monitor is connected to your laptop:

• Windows Key+P  switch between display modes (with a secondary display connected). 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok I'm back! The problem was gone for about a week, where I was able to turn the PC on and off and it would display on the television without issues. Now the problem has returned just as it was before, no signal unless I start the PC with no HDMI cable plugged in and then plug it in after the fact (meaning I need to unplug after each restart). I have no idea what changed in the last few days, maybe a windows update but I didn't notice anything like that. 

Echo Lake, I think we have a misunderstanding because this is definitely not a feature. Maybe I was unclear, but I am trying to use this televison as the only monitor for the PC. There's no reason the image shouldn't display when the PC powers on, but I still get a "no signal" screen. I tried doing the "windows 10 content creation tool" download and install as a way to reset, but it was unsuccessful. Next thing I will do is the Bios and AMD Chip updates which previously seemed to solve the problem. Maybe they got canceled out by a windows update or something... I am really at a loss for answers. 

HP Recommended

Actually I failed to intall the Windows Content Creation tool.  Error code: " 0xC1900101-0x2000C The installation failed in the safe_os phase with an error during apply_image operation". So yeah I'm gonna plug into my old monitor for this part since every restart equals blank screen, and I'm gonna get this Content Creation Tool Update to install if it takes a million tries.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.