Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone. I do hope someone can kindly help me with a problem I have.

I have a Z420 workstation PC and now have 2 monitors. I moved my old AOC 21" monitor, connected as before with a DVI-D to DVI-D cable and installed a new LG 29wk600-W ultra-wide monitor using a DP to DP cable and as far as that goes, all is tickety-boo and working just fine.

Using Win7 Display - I have them currently set up as extended display using the new LG monitor as my main monitor (1) and the old/AOC (2).

So for hours I've been trying to use either a RAM stick and/or DVD drive installation disk for Win10 without success. I've been on the phone twice to LG who were unable to help me at all - couldn't speak to a tech guy so had a lady from customer services playing piggy in the middle and trying to be a repeater between the 2 of us which is crazy but he wasn't 'customer facing' so that wasn't possible but anyway that's irrelevant really so ...

After I spoke to LG for the last time, just out of curiousity, I switched on the old monitor and knock me over with a feather but all the start-up stuff - bios and so on, were there! Of course the new monitor had turned off - "no signal - entering the power mode" - and because it was my last attempt to upgrade using the old monitor that caused me day's worth of problems and unable to use the computer, I was damned if I was going to attempt it again, although this time I've taken every precaution first - created a repair disk, 2 installations on DVD and RAM stick, an image of the C disk on my D drive and so on.

SO my question is this please - and thank you for bearing with me to this point - why are those still going to the old monitor despite my setting the new monitor as 1/main monitor rather than to the new one? And how can I make it so all that goes to the new monitor instead? I won't have any display issues now and surely there has to be a reason why currently it's going to the old monitor rather than the new? It can't be the connections and/or cables surely? They're all new! I just don't understand what it is so unable to correct it. Sounds simple enough on paper but I'm not very au-fait technically with computers other than a basic understanding but I am ok with software and so on so any help or advice anyone could kindly offer would be *VERY* much appreciated.

Thank you kindly, Nick. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.