Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P7-1054
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About 2 days ago, I had the same issue that several are describing after performing a Windows update: screen went temporarily black and the resolution was downgraded severly and couldn't be adjusted any higher than like 1280x720.

-The "Display Adapter" properties under the Display Settings menu showed the Microsoft Generic adapter (??)

-Device Manager showed my ATI Radeon HD 4200, but there was no driver installed

A couple of threads below mentioned trying to click the "Roll Back Driver", but this option was greyed out for me.

Here's how I fixed the problem; apparently there was an older driver stored on my hard drive:

-In Device Manager, go to Display Adapters and right click your device (in my case, ATI Radeon HD 4200)

-Click Properties, Driver, Update Driver

-Click Browse My Computer for driver software

-Search under C:\Program Files\ATI

After a few seconds of a black screen, my resolution settings were back to normal! Hope this helps.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

T

HP Recommended

You're right, not for me, while I'm top informatics was, deveoloped in fortran, php, etc.

I tried everyting Windows 10 offers me, but compared with windows XP, that's more open. So I keep working on that best system. Only one sofwtare (Xara) needs it to make more web-funny tgings, what I don't need.

HP Recommended

I was able to fix this issue by rolling back the driver. Thank you for posting that fix, as I was about to give up on my machine.

HP Recommended

And that's the difference with me, all was updated, and it didn't go black, it just "cracked" from the correct resolution and flipped to a lower one. I also was a troubleshooter in a firm, solving all kinds of problems for employees. One thing I learned is, don't blame the user. And why is it that everybody feels that Windows 10 is good, while many got it for free (from windows 7, 8)? Microsoft? Different systems, different users, the problem only persists, and I fear it deepens. I fear the updating fanatics are still making things worse. I'm happy with Windows XP, no updating! The same happens with smartphones. You're used to an app, next time it's different, update! Kill the golden goose!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, but it is not working.  I may have messed up my computer by downloading what I thought was the original driver from AMD, but I cannot seem to get my system back to where it was.  Is there any way that HP can post the original driver they used for the ATI Radeon HD 4200 display so that the correct software can be downloaded?  Microsoft is giving HP a very bad name by screwing up so many systems that are already in service! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.