Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Desktop Pavillion 500

Hi all,

I'm new here, but the forum looks great, so I thought I'd join up in the hope that someone out there can help me solve a problem.

I have an HP Pavillion 500 desktop pc, running Windows 8.

It is around 6 years old, and was working perfectly until today. I have it connected to my 42" LG LED TV, which makes for a brilliant monitor. The TV is also around 6 years old, and, weirdly, today this also broke down; the screen went black. Last year it did the same thing, and the local TV repair shop installed a couple of replacement LEDs and all was well. They did tell me it was a temporary fix, and it would probably need a full LED replacement within a year. They weren't wrong! So, with my TV monitor out of action, I hooked my desktop pc up to another TV I have. All was well for around 5 minutes, then the 'connection' appeared to vanish. I tested this substitute TV with my DVD player, and it worked perfectly, so I know this TV is fine. I tried a different HDMI cable to the pc, still no pc screen showing on the TV. I then connected the desktop pc to an HP computer monitor, and it showed a black screen. I then switched off the pc and switched off the monitor, and then switched the pc back on again; the monitor screen responded by switching itself on as a result. However, the image that appeared was one of green/yellow lines, flickering wildly. There was some small text there too, but it was impossible to make out what it said. I could just about make out the little 'loading' circle doing its thing... then... nothing, the screen went black again and the monitor said it was entering Sleep Mode. It didn't actually enter Sleep Mode; perhaps it was registering that there was a connection there that wouldn't allow it to, but it continued to be a black screen, with the 'entering Sleep Mode' box reappearing every few seconds. I tried the whole switch off/switch on thing a few more times, with the same results, although the colours of the stripes on the screen vary each time I do it.

My pc holds a lot of crucial info, irreplaceable photos etc etc, much the same as anyone else I suppose, and it is hugely upsetting to think it may be irretievable.

Please can someone help me? I know very little about the workings of a pc; however I am very practical, very mechanical, and I can generally fix anything.

I would be very, very grateful to anyone for any assistance.

Andrew.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Andrew2222 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with the display.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can contact the local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, Praveen196.

I will do what you suggest.

I was hoping for someone to say  "Oh, that's easy, it happened to mine, it's the ******** and all you have to do is replace it and all will be well..." Ha ha!

Anyway, I'll contact HP.

Thanks again!

Andrew.
HP Recommended

@Andrew2222

Yes, contact HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.