Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion s-1010
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

First, I build 2-3 systems for my business each year.  I am decent at troubleshooting systems.  This one is a real pain.  Belongs to a friend, they were told the HD was dead.  I was going to replace the HD, but it started. This has been updated to win 10.

What happens is that on most starts the screen comes on for only a second or two, HP start screen appears for a second and goes black. The various windows start screens, the box, login, (no password) then desktop appear for a second and then the sceen goes black.

I thought it was a windows issue, so I did a repair and it worked for several starts. But when I turned it off and left for a couple of hours, it went back to the same on-off black screen.  OK, so i'ts the video - put in  a card in express slot, fixed for about three starts then it goes back to the same routine.  The monitor blue light is on, but the screen is black.

I can unplug the monitor, wait a second, plug back in and the desktop appears for a second before blacking out.  About every 4'th or 5'th monitor plug in, it will start working.

The other odd part is tring to get into the bios. Using F10, if the screen doesn't go black, it displays a message saying it is hibernating and changes could hurt the operating system. One time when it worked, I did go in and turn hiberbation off, but this still shows.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ocoee1

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the Screen Blacks Out at times,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help resolve your concern,
Although, I will need a few more answers to solve this riddle:

You've mentioned that you've added a graphics card into the PCI Express slot, was it working fine on the integrated video?

If yes, Have you tried using the integrated card again to check if the issue is resolved?

If no, Have you attempted with an alternate monitor?

If the alternate monitor has a display and works fine, please check with an alternate video cable as well and keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Ocoee1

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the Screen Blacks Out at times,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help resolve your concern,
Although, I will need a few more answers to solve this riddle:

You've mentioned that you've added a graphics card into the PCI Express slot, was it working fine on the integrated video?

If yes, Have you tried using the integrated card again to check if the issue is resolved?

If no, Have you attempted with an alternate monitor?

If the alternate monitor has a display and works fine, please check with an alternate video cable as well and keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.