Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tonight I replaced my 2 monitors with sleeker HP EliteDisplay E223. My on-board graphics are AMD Radeon HD 8670D with a 1-DVI and 1-VGA output. That was not an issue with my old monitors that had both VGA and DVI connections. These new monitors only have a VGA and HDMI connections. "No problem", I thought, "I have plenty of adapters."

So- many hours later - I'm about to drag my old behemoth monitors back into my office. I cannot get the second monitor to receive an input signal and I cannot get windows to detect it. The only monitor that will work is the VGA (PC) to VGA (Monitor). I have verified each monitor in this connection scenario works. But the monitor that is receiving DVI (PC) to either VGA or HDMI (Monitor) will not work. I have tried both connections. There is no change.

What else I've tried: Holding down the power button on the dead monitor for 30 seconds. Making the cable connections with the PC both off and while running. I have tried every display setting on the monitor and factory reset it. I have updated the AMD Radeon drivers. I installed drivers for these specific monitors. I could find nothing in the BIOS for display. In Win 10 - you used to be able to see the monitors in Display Settings - I was curious if the monitor was there but grayed out - but in my current incarnation of Display Setting, I do not see the monitor graphics any longer. 

I'm at a loss and looking at a card for this model of Envy what  has HDMI, VGA, and DVI output. Cheapest one I see is $70, but I'd like to avoid another expense, when I know my current graphics card works and both of these monitors work, and I've even tested both adapters, and they work. What am I missing? What else is there to try? I have connected hundreds of these set ups at work, and have generally found a solution at this point. This is super-frustrating me.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ron_Marrs Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are not getting the display on the second monitor.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Have you tried the interchange the monitor and checked?

Please try to use the different adapter and check.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the welcome! @Praveen196

As I stated in my post... each adapter was tested and verified to be working. I tried each monitor on the VGA connection, and they worked fine. I could not get either monitor to work on the DVI out (PC) to HDMI or VGA in (Monitor). I know it is not the cable - it works with my old monitor without issue. 

-I also ran Windows Updates. No change.

-I rolled back the graphics driver in case Windows update was causing the issue.  No change.

-I installed the latest graphics drivers. No change.

-Installed HP Support Assistant (lead to my discovery of this forum). No change.

When I didn't get an answer here, I ordered a graphics card with VGA, DVI, and HDMI out. But I'd still love to find another solution, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this isn't working. As I stated previously, I have done this at work a hundred times and always managed to get it to work, why this time is different, I just don't get it.

HP Recommended

@Ron_Marrs

I understand your concerns.

I request you to use the AMD autodetect software from AMD and install it on the PC, which will detect the video card and will download the suitable driver for it to work on the PC.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196 -

the AMD AutoDetect software installs Adrenalin2020 which errors out on my PC and is unable to run. 

Additionally, I installed and ran the HP Support Assistant, and that yielded no results, no updates, no recommendations.

HP Recommended

@Ron_Marrs

Please run the SFC scan. you can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

If the issue still persists, please perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

This feels like an extreme measure to get a second monitor to be detected by Windows. Can you shed some light on what these two steps might accomplish? If I did these two steps, and achieved no results, what would the next recommendation be? Format your hard drive and reload Windows? Just to get a monitor to show up? I feel like the second option you provided could potentially go very wrong if I wasn't careful and I'd be left with a formatted drive and a fresh copy of Windows.

I was hoping for a response that would detail something I was less familiar with than "turn it off and on again".  Like perhaps there's something in the registry you can check or change; or ensure your monitor is set to "whatever" and follow these steps. I know fully well how to go scorched earth on my system, I'm just not willing to go down that path to have a monitor become detectable. 

As I previously stated, I already ordered the new graphics card. I feel confident that will resolve the matter, but I'm happy to return it if I can get monitor 2 to show up in some other way.

HP Recommended

@Ron_Marrs

When you receive the new graphics card. Install and check for the external display.

If you face any issue, please get back to us.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The new card did solve my problem. It was not immediate, after installing the card, I still had the same issues, the only difference was that I was no longer having to use an adapter. However, once I went to the nVidia GeForce site and updated the drivers, the second monitor came on while the drivers were still being installed. I have not had any issues since.

Even though I found a resolution, it still cost me additional funds, and I am confident there was another solution other than buying a new graphics card. I'm wondering if I had uninstalled my graphics adapter in Device Manager and let Windows find it and load drivers for it after rebooting, if that would have solved the problem? I was afraid I'd be left with no display at all had I gone that route.

This is the card I purchased if anyone with my particular machine runs into the same problem: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZHOWL0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you @Praveen196 for all your suggestions. 

HP Recommended

@Ron_Marrs

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

If the product not under warranty there will be a charge for the support.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.