cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Sam-Sam-44
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Two Monitors to 590-p0000a PC

HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 590-P0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I Know nothing about hooking up two monitors - before I shop for a 2nd Monitor, I want to know something about it.  The plan is to use a 2nd monitor in vertical orientation for seeing larger images without having to scroll up and down.

The PC that HP sold me in late 2018 DOES NOT HAVE A DISPLAY PORT!  It has HDMI and VGA - Isn't VGA ancient, wouldn't it be slow, or lack band width?   I have already got conflicting information from two HP sources.  The guy at HP Smart Friend just told me I can use a split cable from the single HDMI port to run two monitors.   That doesn't sound right.  Where-as a post on this site for an earlier 570pc said you had to use both the HDMI AND VGA  to run two monitors.

What about USB 3.1?  Can you run a monitor with that? 

Thanks, Sam-Sam

4 REPLIES 4
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
96,959 61,254 12,565 20,237
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sam-Sam-44 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06000982

It has following ports at its back

• (1) VGA port
  • (1) HDMI 1.4/HDCP 2.2
  • (1) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A port
  • (5) USB 2.0 Type-A ports
  • (3) Audio ports
  • (1) RJ-45 port

You can connect 2 monitors using 2 ports above. Note HDMI and VGA natively, no conversions.

If you need more, you can add a video card to your machine and it will automatically disable 2 ports above. Please note your machine only has 310W PSU.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Sam-Sam-44
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This answer has not helped me.  More than a month and I am still stymied and not shopping for a 2nd monitor because of the inadequacy of the answer.  I cannot believe I'm being told to use an ancient analogue connection for a 2nd monitor, on a barely 2 year old computer!  And you gave me NO assurance about why this is or how much, or not,  the display quality would be reduced by having to go through analogue.

I said from the front I don't know about computers, and a little elaboration would have helped.  Was I that stupid to go the local big box store and buy a $500 plus desktop computer and ASSUME it would have adequate, modern connections to hook up a 2nd monitor?  Just giving me specs does not half answer the question.  

banhien
Level 19
Level 19
96,959 61,254 12,565 20,237
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sam-Sam-44 wrote:

...  I cannot believe I'm being told to use an ancient analogue connection for a 2nd monitor, on a barely 2 year old computer! ..

@Sam-Sam-44 

Well, that is your belief. I can't do anything about that.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Sam-Sam-44
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am fed up.  Since you have not reassured me about adequate options for connecting two monitors in the HP computer I was sold, please tell me where to address a complaint to HP, or a forum to discuss this confusion and frustration where there are more reply's than the single, narrow one you gave. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation