Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

USB ports are not working. This has meant both the mouse and keyboard cannot be used. But a phone is able to charge via USB. I urgently need help here. I am not able to do anything as the keyboard is non-operational.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That model has PS/2 ports for a keyboard and mouse, as indicated by item #4 and #12 in this picture of the rear of that case

HP ProDesk 400G3 MicrotowerHP ProDesk 400G3 Microtower

Use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  They will be recognized without the USB drivers.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

There are many models in the HP ProDesk line.  Since Windows 7 is listed as the OS, it most likely is an older model.  Please post a complete model number for any meaningful help.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

This model is HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT business PC. It came with freeDos for an operating system.

HP Recommended

Was this actually working in the past or is this a new install of Windows 7?

With none of the USB ports not working, it sounds more like the drivers are not installed.

Here is a list of all the drivers for Windows 7 64bit for that PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-prodesk-400-g3-microtower-pc/7638325

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

It has been working. I actually first installed Windows 10. If all drivers are not installed,  how come am able to charge my phone using a USB cable?

Kindly show me how I can install the drivers without keyboard and mouse. There's no way of interacting with my PC at the moment.

HP Recommended

That model has PS/2 ports for a keyboard and mouse, as indicated by item #4 and #12 in this picture of the rear of that case

HP ProDesk 400G3 MicrotowerHP ProDesk 400G3 Microtower

Use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  They will be recognized without the USB drivers.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you old man. The ps/2 devices have worked. However,  suppose I wasn't able to get myself ps/2 mouse and keyboard? Could it be that it's known that USB drivers would not be there? My PC for example,  did not come with ps/2 devices. The dealer didn't supply those,  but USB devices.

HP Recommended

Since Windows 7 was being installed, it does not contain some of the hardware drivers that the newer computers use for USB ports.  Many of the new hardware builds are using USB 3.0 which Windows 7 does not recognize.  You can load drivers into the Windows 7 install media to allow those, but it is more difficult.  Windows 10 is more hardware friendly in those regards.

It is similar to the WinXP install media that did not recognize SATA drives, when SATA came out.  The drivers had to be on a floppy disk or slipstreamed into the WinXP install media CD.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.