Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 27-p019nb All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I bought a HP Envy 27-p019nb All-In-One and have had ghost-clicking issues since ca. 1 month after purchase. As I don't use the touchscreen at all and want to work around a hardware change, I followed the HP forum advice to disable/uninstal the touch screen driver in the device manager. 

Now, the amazing thing about this fix is that the driver gets automatically re-enabled or even reinstalled without any notification or permission. I therefore spend around 10 minutes daily to try to reach the device manager, right-click on the appropriate driver and disable it again (which can be difficult, seen that ghost-clicks activate other windows all 1-5 seconds). By now, I am a huge fan of this PC!

Can somebody provide me with instructions on how to disbale or uninstal this driver permanently? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I fixed this issue permanently.

1. I downloaded the devcon.exe tool from windows to disable drivers in the cmd line.

2. I created a new task that triggers on the event "power- troubleshooter" and runs "with highest privileges" (i.e. as admin). The task calls a "RunBatchSilent.vbs" file, which in turn runs a batch called "disable touchscreen.bat" to disable the driver. 

Here is the code for the VBS: 

Dim WinScriptHost
Set WinScriptHost = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WinScriptHost.Run Chr(34) & "C:\TouchScreenFix\disable touchscreen.bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WinScriptHost = Nothing

And here the code for the batch:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64
devcon.exe disable "@YourDeviceInstancePathGoesHERE"
exit

- The VBS makes sure you don't see the cmd window poping up when the task runs. 

- The batch uses devcon.exe to disable the driver based on the drivers' device instance path. This path can be foud in the Device Manager>>Properties>>Details and needs to be prefixed with @.

- Eventually, the underlined code needs to be adapted.

Result: When starting/waking up the PC, the driver gets always disbaled. Of course you can set up other triggers to run the task. 

Hope this helps, 

Michael

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello,

There is a way to disable the automatic reload of the driver. However, it will  alsodo this for all drivers.

Start by right-clcking the WIndows Start Menu> System> Advanced System Settings> Hardware Tab> Device Installation Settings> Select No> Apply.

I'm an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Can you confirm that there is no alternative that will only disable the right driver ?

HP Recommended

As of now, there is no way disable only one driver for automatic updates.

I'm an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I found this article and installed the tool to prevent specific windows updates. It provides me with a list of drivers (see picture) but I am not sure if any of these is relevant for my problem. 

Is any of these drivers related to the HID-Touch screen? 

driver list.PNG

HP Recommended

Yes, that appears to be related to Windows specific software.

What I had provided is for hardware enabling drivers. What you downloaded wouldn't apply to this, unfortunately.

I'm an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Ok, too bad. But thanks for the response anyways. Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hi Michael_HPUser,

Evidently there is no way to prevent automatic driver updates from within Windows itself (at least none that I could find) however this  site explains that  Microsoft has provided a downloadable tool for this purpose. 'Step Three: Prevent a Driver or Update From Being Installed from Windows Update' has instructions and link to the tool on Microsoft's support site.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi,  seems to be the same tool I mentioned 2 post earlier. I think its a dead-end, and your colleague agrees... 😉

HP Recommended

Hi,

I fixed this issue permanently.

1. I downloaded the devcon.exe tool from windows to disable drivers in the cmd line.

2. I created a new task that triggers on the event "power- troubleshooter" and runs "with highest privileges" (i.e. as admin). The task calls a "RunBatchSilent.vbs" file, which in turn runs a batch called "disable touchscreen.bat" to disable the driver. 

Here is the code for the VBS: 

Dim WinScriptHost
Set WinScriptHost = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WinScriptHost.Run Chr(34) & "C:\TouchScreenFix\disable touchscreen.bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WinScriptHost = Nothing

And here the code for the batch:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64
devcon.exe disable "@YourDeviceInstancePathGoesHERE"
exit

- The VBS makes sure you don't see the cmd window poping up when the task runs. 

- The batch uses devcon.exe to disable the driver based on the drivers' device instance path. This path can be foud in the Device Manager>>Properties>>Details and needs to be prefixed with @.

- Eventually, the underlined code needs to be adapted.

Result: When starting/waking up the PC, the driver gets always disbaled. Of course you can set up other triggers to run the task. 

Hope this helps, 

Michael

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.