Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
All-in-One - 22-b226on 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having some issues getting the computer to wake up after putting it into sleep mode. When I start it, I can hear everything "shut down," the screen goes black, and everything goes quiet. Good so far. Now, when I click the mouse or press anything on the keyboard, I hear the computer coming back to life, and a light behind the caps lock key blinks. But the monitor will not come back, it stays black.

Here's what I've done so far:

Checked that both the mouse and keyboard are set to allow to wake up the pc. Which they are. 

Sleep and Allow wake times are at their default settings. 

Uninstalled and reinstalled the display drivers. 

But after all of this, it's still not waking up correctly. I'm looking at flashing the BIOS, but looking for some advice first. Thanks. 

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

it’s been two days with no response. Anyone out there have a suggestion? Please? I could use a little help here. 

HP Recommended

@KnightLife Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop will not Wake Up from Sleep Mode.

Please refer to the following link to troubleshoot the issue.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935

Also, update the BIOS and check.

For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks) 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Ive been out of town for the past couple of days, but when I get home I’ll try all those and let you know how it went. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

@KnightLife

Thank you for the information.

Please perform the previous post steps and let us know.

If you are getting the same issue. Please get back to us, We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Ok, here we go. 

So, naturally I restarted the computer, after it fully botted up, I then put it into sleep mode, gave it a minute or two, and tried to wake it up by pressing a button on my keyboard. I could hear things revving back up, but the screen remained black. (off, although the yellow power light is on). 

After that, I held down the power button for about five seconds, it went through something of a restart, and I was back at my desktop. 

Next, I checked in Device Manager, under Keyboards, and "allow this device to wake the computer" was checked.

Following that, I ran Windows Update, but everything was up to date. 

I then checked, and ran, updates from HP. There were about eight of them, so they downloaded and installed, and after that I tested again. It goes to sleep, I press a button, I hear the fan and it sounds like waking up, but again the screen is dark. 

Next, I ran Windows Power troubleshooter, it found two issues (time before display goes to sleep is too long, and time before computer goes to sleep is too long), fixed those, gave it a few seconds, put it once again into sleep mode, but with the exact same results. 

With no success, I then want to update the BIOS. Went ti Device Manager > Firmware > System Firmware > Update Driver > Automatically Download.   That took about a minute, said it was was completed, clicked ok, and went back to my desktop. Rebooted the computer, tried again, heard everything go to sleep, habit a few moments, pressed a key, hear stuff powering back up, the power light is on, but screen is still black.  As an aside, I went to HP Support to look for BIOS, but had no idea which of the five options were the correct one (if any of them are). 

Kinda feel like I'm spinning my wheels here a bit, but at least I'm doing something. Thanks again for the help. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same exact issue with my HP All-In-One 24-f034. It's 3 days old and has yet to wake up from sleep mode. So much for warranty - was told to just shut it down every time I walk away to prevent it from going to sleep. Perhaps I should return it for a similar Dell model?

HP Recommended

@KnightLife

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggest you contact phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@LCWelter Welcome to HP Community!

Have you performed the previous post steps?

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Yes, I performed every previous step listed. Even upgraded the BIOS to F.29, however, it still shows my revision as F.15. I just need this computer to wakeup when I need it. I'm back and forth alot and do not want to spend all day restarting it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.