Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z27
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received a new HP Z27 and connected it to my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) via the USB-C cable. 

The Thinkpad screen shows up on the monitor but unfortunately, the laptop doesn't receive any power via the USB-C cable. I already tried to restart, hard reset etc. I'm not sure whether the problem is with the monitor, the table, or the laptop. Charging the Thinkpad via its USB-C charger works fine. 

What makes me rather uncomfortable is that the display complains that the USB-C cable that was included (by HP) is unsupported. The included cable has a lable that says: "Full USB3.1 Gen1 3A CM-CM, TP Ji-Haw" etc.

Any thoughts on how I can make it work? I'd really like to charge the laptop via the monitor. Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I've made some progress in narrowing down this issue:

I used a Satechi USB C power meter to measure the USB C voltage delivered by the Z27 monitor. It is only 5V which is why the Thinkpad laptop does not charge. I connected a Macbook Pro which does charge but only slowly as the voltage is also only 5V. 

I then tried two different USB C cables:  
IOGEAR Smart USB-C to USB-C 

Monoprice Thunderbolt 3

Both of them are rated for 100W power delivery and have been tested to comply with the USB C standard. Still, the same issue: power delivery remains at 5V.

So at this point, I'm pretty certain that the problem is the Z27 monitor. For some reason, it does not seem to respond to requests from the laptops to up its power delivery from 5V to 20V. 

Any recommendations on what to do about this? 

HP Recommended

My solution has now been to buy a cheap $20 USB-C hub and have that connected to my Lenovo power supply as well as the Z27 via the hub's HDMI output. 

The hub is able to negotiate with the Thinkpad laptop what voltage it needs (20V) and then provides that voltage -- a process the Z27 apparently did not engage in as it continously provided 5V only. 

This workaround works for me, sort of. I'm still disappointed that my brand new Z27 failed to provide this functionality; and also that nobody at the HP tech support hotline nor here in the forum could help me. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue - and HP seems to be ignoring the issue.

I have posted a similar thing in their forum - and had our corporate IT contact HP, with no result.

I'm surprised that HP is getting away with this - as the Z27 is marketed as being able to provide USB-C PD of 65W.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.