Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4 Workstation

I just purchased a new in box Z8 Gen 4, Serial number MXL3211XFV, Product number 7TZ99UC#ABA.  I want to install an nVidia RTX 4070 removed from my Z840 where it worked well.  In the Z8, I find no GPU power cables, nor do I see an empty socket to plug such a cable into.  The Z8 came with an nVidia P620, which I had the seller remove,  Anyone have an answer?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Found the GPU  cables.  They were neatly plugged into receptacles near the drive bays.  Right in front of me...  Problem solved.  Appreciate your help!

- r

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@von_b,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

According to HP PartSurfer, your HP Z8 G4 Workstation (7TZ99UC) came fitted with a 1125-watt power supply (p/n: L20512-001 / 851384-001) :

NonSequitur777_0-1716694402522.png

According to the specs and YouTube videos, such as this one, your Workstation should be equipped with four 6-pin PCIe power cables (G1, G2, G3, G4), each capable to deliver 12V x 18A = 216-watt.  Since the 6-pin PCIe power cables are rated for 216-watt, you can use 6-pin PCIe (male) to 8-pin PCIe (female) power adapters without any issues.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Yes, you are correct.  That is exactly the power supply I have with the four 18A G1~G4 outputs.  I can not locate the cables.  There appears to be no empty connections from the edge connector that mates with the power supply.  I have taken the computer apart with the exception of removing the motherboard looking for cables that may be stashed away.  Since this particular model may have come with an nVidia P620 GPU (which requires no external supplemental power), I am wondering if the cables may not have shipped...

Really appreciate the help!!!

HP Recommended

@von_b,

The seller may have removed the power cable assembly for all I know: contact the seller at your earliest convenience and point out this issue.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Found the GPU  cables.  They were neatly plugged into receptacles near the drive bays.  Right in front of me...  Problem solved.  Appreciate your help!

- r

HP Recommended

@von_b,

Outstanding!

Happy to hear that the PCIe power cables issue has been resolved.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.