Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

hey there .

"I'm experiencing difficulties connecting a second monitor to my HP gaming laptop. Despite trying various troubleshooting steps, including testing different cables, adapters, and ports, as well as consulting a professional technician, the problem persists. The laptop does not detect the second monitor, and I've already exhausted typical solutions such as updating graphics drivers, checking display settings, and testing different resolutions and refresh rates. Even after considering potential software-related issues and attempting system restore, the problem remains unresolved. I'm hesitant to resort to reinstalling Windows, as I'm concerned about potential data loss and prefer a solution that doesn't involve drastic measures. Any suggestions or alternative solutions to resolve this issue without removing data would be greatly appreciated."

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have the same issue connecting my second monitor to my Win 11 All-in-One. Did all the same things you listed here with no results so don't drive yourself crazy. I got no reply from hp when contacting the site, it just sends me around in circles..FYI the monitor and cable work just fine on my other All-in-One with Win 10 so there is a definite problem within Win 11.

HP Recommended

**bleep** man did u fix ur problem or no

HP Recommended

Yes sand No! Problem has been resolved, but I can't hook up a second monitor. HP sold me a $2,000 computer that has 3 HDMI ports that are "in" only. There is no internal display card to support a second monitor! Unbelievable! Check your specs to see if there is a secondary display card.

HP Recommended

it was working before brobut not anymore thats why im trying to fix it

HP Recommended

well i got nothing to do ig installing a new win is the only solution 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my HP laptop. Like the other comments, I have tried other laptops like a Dell and Lenovo that DO work, but I get nothing with my HP. It's very frustrating because I bought 2 other HP laptops for my kids and no second monitors are detected as well. I also talked to someone at HP who recommended I do a complete system restore to learn that didn't work either. I have spent countless hours troubleshooting and confirmed the drivers are up-to-date, I have bought and tried several different adapters and docking stations. I am led to believe it's an HP issue, therefore I will not buy HP again unless someone from HP can help fix this.

HP Recommended

Help is on the way Guys! Forget the adapters, forget the docking stations! I found the solution and now have a second monitor on my HP All-In-One! What you need is called a "Display Link". It looks and sound a bit like a regular "Docking Station" but it isn't. My HP has 3 HDMI's but they are all inputs. My USB A's are. 3.0 and 3.1 and my USB C's are high speed but no "Thunderbolt" or "Alt Display Mode" and it still works (as it is meant to be). The Display link takes the signal in from either USB A or C and converts it into a Digital Video Signal then outputs it to your monitor using an HDMI cable, VGA or some other I'm not familiar with. If this sounds like a lot of info it really isn't (I'm not tech savvy and hooked it up in 30 seconds), (Now I'm sounding like an infomercial-Sorry!). For Windows 11 it's plug and play, for all other Win you only need to update driver apps. It comes with it's own power supply, supports 2-4K displays and in my case 4-USB 2.0 ;  4-3.1 USB ; 1 USB C and all necessary cables/adapters. Why HP does not give out this info is beyond me as this only cost me $95.00 and works awesome! My particular model is "Plugable Universal Laptop Docking Station for Dual Monitors", found on amazon. Let me know how you make out!

HP Recommended

Hello Accentcleaners! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I will certainly give this a try! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.