Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion desktop p7-1231
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Asterisk over internet icon on address bar, although I still have WiFi access. Says weak security
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@EvrhrtAuto

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there's an Asterisk over the Internet icon on the address bar, though there is WiFi access,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check with an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox, etc..?

Are the windows updates still working?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do, if none of the browsers are working due to the same issue:

Open a cmd prompt by right clicking and choosing run as administrator and type:
netsh wlan show profiles press enter

You will see a either just one
router SSID for your home network or several if connecting in different locations delete all the profiles using command below:

Type: netsh wlan delete profile name= " Your router SSID" press enter and restart computer.
Connect to your router SSID again and input the network key when prompted to do so.

If the issue persists, please try with the below steps:

Run the Internet connections troubleshooter:

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel

2. Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

3. Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

4. Click on Internet connections.

5. Click on Advanced on the Internet connections dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

6. Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Internet connections troubleshooter.

If the issue persist, follow below methods.

Method 2:

As you have installed the new wireless card, I suggest you to update the network adapter drivers. Rfere to the below link on how to update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If the issue still persist, follow below method. 

Method 3:

If the driver update does not help then I would suggest you to completely uninstall the Network adapter drivers and reinstall it to check if this helps.

Follow these steps.

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select Device Manager.

2. In the list of devices, you should see the Network adapter.

3. Expand the Network adapter, right click on the Network adapter drivers and then select Uninstall.

4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

On the Action tab of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will force the computer to recognize any hardware changes. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

I hope the above information helps.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@EvrhrtAuto

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there's an Asterisk over the Internet icon on the address bar, though there is WiFi access,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check with an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox, etc..?

Are the windows updates still working?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do, if none of the browsers are working due to the same issue:

Open a cmd prompt by right clicking and choosing run as administrator and type:
netsh wlan show profiles press enter

You will see a either just one
router SSID for your home network or several if connecting in different locations delete all the profiles using command below:

Type: netsh wlan delete profile name= " Your router SSID" press enter and restart computer.
Connect to your router SSID again and input the network key when prompted to do so.

If the issue persists, please try with the below steps:

Run the Internet connections troubleshooter:

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel

2. Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

3. Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

4. Click on Internet connections.

5. Click on Advanced on the Internet connections dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

6. Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Internet connections troubleshooter.

If the issue persist, follow below methods.

Method 2:

As you have installed the new wireless card, I suggest you to update the network adapter drivers. Rfere to the below link on how to update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If the issue still persist, follow below method. 

Method 3:

If the driver update does not help then I would suggest you to completely uninstall the Network adapter drivers and reinstall it to check if this helps.

Follow these steps.

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select Device Manager.

2. In the list of devices, you should see the Network adapter.

3. Expand the Network adapter, right click on the Network adapter drivers and then select Uninstall.

4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

On the Action tab of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will force the computer to recognize any hardware changes. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

I hope the above information helps.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I just wanted to say thank you, I’ve been dealing with some other things, but I did try all 3 options and now I have no asterisk over my internet wireless ! It had to uninstall the Network adapter drivers & reinstalled them just like you said! Ty so much for all your help!
HP Recommended
Such a very alert & helpful team from Hp Forum!
HP Recommended
Okay I recently replied back about the asterisk. Well , I’m back, it works fine to remove my network adapters then reinstall them . I found out that works fine until it has to restart after updates that requires restarting again after the first restart (to reinstall). But it has also caused me to have my video stall or stop a lot. Or is that something else? Its started to do this since the asterisk has to be fixed. I’m going crazy trying to figure this out windows 7 still. Ty
HP Recommended

@EvrhrtAuto

Hi,

as @Riddle_Decipher is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

I read that after performing the steps to remove the asterisk, but now the video stops a lot. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Are these online videos or videos that are stored on the computer?
  • Is the computer freezing intermittently?

Ideally, the steps provided to remove the asterisk, should not cause the videos to stop. 

Let me know. This information will help us to further isolate the issue. 

Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.