Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer came with bluetooth installed, but I had no way of knowing if it worked while it was under warranty.  I finally got bluetooth headphones and they will pair with the computer if they are within 1 inch of the desktop. Not too useful, so I bought a bluetooth USB dongle to see if it would work.  Well, it won't install.  It stops and says no Realtek is in computer.  Device manager says there is.  I would appreciate any help anyone could provide me in either getting the original built-in BT to work properly or some way of getting the external dongle to work.  Yes, I went to the website of the dongle company for help and the phone has been disconnected and the email doesn't work. 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your PC?

Use this guide to find that information...

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support

What brand and model USB Bluetooth adapter did you buy?

HP Recommended

Hi - it's a model h8-1280t with I7 cpu and 10 gb ram.  The new dongle is a Mpow model BH456A usb BT. 

Thanks for your response

Oldguy123

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What model Wi-Fi adapter does your PC come with?

According to the parts list, the Wi-Fi card that it came with is not a combination Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter.

HP PartSurfer

638461-001
LAN - Flamingo WLAN 802.11bgn (1x1)

That should be a Ralink RT5390 card.

You can confirm what model Wi-Fi adapter HP installed by going to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

If it is in fact a Ralink RT5390 model, it is Wi-Fi only.

Regarding the USB wifi adapter...

Here is the link to the driver download site for that model adapter.

File Download – MPOW (xmpow.com)

If you are in the device manager, under the Bluetooth device manager category, if you see a Generic Bluetooth adapter listed there, you need to install the driver for it.

If you have already tried that, then see if this works...

What I did was to extract the actual BT driver from the driver installation zip file, zipped it up and attached it below.

Unzip the file to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager.

Click to expand the Bluetooth device manager category.

Click on the Generic Bluetooth adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.

Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for driver software' option and browse to the Bluetooth driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I will try tomorrow to follow your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.  Here's what I found out under Network Adapters

Bluetooth device (Personal Area Network) - HP bluetooth module with low energy support

Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocall TDP

Broadcom BCM 943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter

Broadcom Virtual Wi-Fi Miniport Adapter

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - driver version 106.12.11 19.2014

At the top of Device Manager listings is

Bluetooth Radios

HP Bluetooth Module with low energy support

Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

My question is since the networh adapter is not the Realtek do I just forget about the built-in B-T and try to install the files you sent.  If so which network device do I update the driver?  I am really lost here.

Thanks again for all the help.  Sorry I am asking all these questions, but I don't want to ruin the computer.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to what you posted; this would be the W7 BT driver you would need for the Broadcom BCM 943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66402.exe 

The driver I gave you yesterday was just for the plug in USB Bluetooth adapter, and I assume you don't have that plugged in right now because there is only the HP Bluetooth Module with low energy support device listed there.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul.  I'm sorry to be such a bother, but I'll try for the dongle.  Do I plug in the dongle and then stop windows from tying to install it?  How do I get Device Manager to install the files you sent.  I really don't understand.  Maybe I should just forget the whole thing.  I'm sorry if I am wasting your time.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Plug in the dongle and let Windows try to install the drivers,

It has to install some features and components anyway.

Once you get the thing where Windows indicates the device was installed or not installed go back to the device manager and let me know if there is now a Generic Bluetooth adapter in the list of devices.

You would manually install the driver from that generic bluetooth device, and I will give you the steps to do that after you post back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.