Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 20 desktop touch screen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My hp desktop computer won’t connect to the internet via wi-fi. It was working just fine last week. Now all of a sudden nothing. My computer won’t even detect any wireless networks. It’s almost like I don’t even have a wireless network card. I’ve run diagnostics and can’t seem to find the issue. Also I have rebooted the computer several times. Let me know if there are any suggestions to fix this.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jpbull,

Thanks for the super quick response and glad to know that the issue has been resolved with a USB wifi adapter. Great efforts that didn't go in vain. All's well that ends well goes the adage.

Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I hope the product works great and lasts for a long time to come. It has been an absolute honor to work with you and terrific to share this platform with you.:)

If you think this helped, then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Jpbull

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, Wi-Fi does not work on your PC,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

When was the last time it worked fine? 

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Use the Network and Internet Troubleshooter (Windows 10)

The Network and Internet Troubleshooter tests the network for problems and attempts automatic repairs for any issues found.

1. Right-click the wireless connection icon in the notification area, then select Troubleshoot problems. The Windows Network Diagnostic window opens and the troubleshooting process begins.

Figure: Task bar and wireless network icon

NOTE: This is an image of a connected network, your icon may look different depending upon the status.

2. After automated troubleshooting has completed, read the information on the screen.
    • This describes problems found, fixed, or actions necessary to resolve the connectivity problems.

• When complete, follow any recommended actions and try connecting again.

• If problem persists or there were no issues found by the troubleshooter, close the results screen and continue to the next step.

IconWindows 10 Network Status Icon Description

If there is a red x over the network status icon, this means that there are no wireless networks currently available.

If there is a star on the network icon, this means you are not connected to any network

Connected - No Internet access. This icon with exclamation mark means you are connected to network but no Internet access. You should check the router or modem to see any Internet connection problem.

A successful connection will look like this (this doesn’t take the different signal strengths into account).

Restart the PC

1. Restart the computer with the wireless issue.
  2. After the computer has restarted, try connecting to the Internet again.

Manually connect to the wireless network (Windows 10)

These steps walk you through the process of manually verifying you are connected to the correct wireless network.

1. Locate the wireless networks icon in the Windows notification area.

Figure: Wireless icon in the notification area

2. Check the current status of the network connection, depending on what the icon looks like. The status can help identify the cause of the network issue.

icon status definition

A working connection with a strong signal (does not take the different signal strengths into account).

If a star displays on the network icon, this indicates you are not connected to any network.

If a red x displays over the network icon, this indicates there are no wireless networks currently available.

If an exclamation mark displays over the icon, this indicates you are connected to a network but do not have Internet access. Check the router or modem for Internet connection status or issues.

3. Click the wireless icon, then confirm that the computer is connected to the correct network.
    • If the computer has a working connection to the correct network, try connecting to the Internet again.

• If the computer does not have a working connection to the correct network, continue to the next step.

4. Click your network name in the list, and then click Connect.
  5. Enter the network security key or passphrase (often located on a label on the bottom of most routers), or if your router has a WPS button  you can also connect by pushing that button on the router.
  6. Click Next, and then try connecting to the Internet again.

Uninstall and reinstall the network adapter through Device Manager

1. If you are using an external USB wireless network adapter or cellular broadband device, unplug it, restart your computer, then plug it into a different USB port after Windows opens.
  2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  3. Double-click Network adapters.
  4. Right-click the name of your wireless network adapter, then select Uninstall.

NOTE: If the name of the network adapter is missing from the network adapters category, the network adapter hardware is not connected or the device driver cannot Plug and Play. If this happens, shut down the computer and check the hardware connection to your wireless adapter hardware.

Service the computer if problems are found.

The name of the adapter itself will vary, this is dependent upon what is installed on your PC.

5. When the Confirm Device Uninstall screen is displayed, click OK and wait for the device to be uninstalled.

Do not select "Delete the driver software for this device"

6. At the top of the Device Manager window, click Action, then select Scan for hardware changes.

7. The computer reinstalls the wireless network, and the wireless network adapter name is shown in the Network adapters category.

8. After the network adapter name shows in Device Manager, close Device Manager and restart the computer.
  9. Try connecting to the Internet again. If problems persist, continue to the next step.

Reinstall the network adapter using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 8, 10)

Reinstall original software or drivers using the HP Recovery Manager. If your PC does not locate the Recovery Manager installed, click the 'next step' button below.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Recovery Manager. If prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If prompted by User Account Control to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.
  2. Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.

Figure: HP Recovery Manager

3. From the combined list of applications and drivers, with the drivers listed first, select the checkbox next to the drivers you want to reinstall.

NOTE: The name of the adapter varies, depending on which one is installed on your PC.

Figure: List of drivers to reinstall

4. When the Installation is completed message displays, click OK.

Figure: Installation is completed

5. Close all open applications, restart your computer, then try connecting to the Internet again.

Use the Windows Command Prompt to change network settings to identify wireless connection issues with the computer.

1. Search Windows for 'command prompt', in the list of results right-click Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator.

If a User Account Control screen displays asking if you want to allow the app to make changes to your computer, click Yes.

2. Type the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter on the keyboard after each one.
    • netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

• netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

• netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

3. Type netsh int tcp show global, press Enter, then make sure all settings are disabled except for Receive-Side Scaling State in the TCP Global Settings.

4. Close Command Prompt, reboot the computer, then try connecting to the wireless network.

Set BIOS default and restart

1. Restart your notebook.
  2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.
  3. Once the BIOS menu is displayed, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
  6. Select Yes to confirm.
  7. The computer restarts using the default settings.

After your computer has restarted once in Windows test your wireless connectivity. Try connecting to the Internet again. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

Let me know how this goes,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers 😉

HP Recommended
There have been no new hardware of software changes. The wi-fi was working just last week on this computer. My other devices are recognizing and connecting currently to our wireless network. My internet connection icon has a red X in it. My computer doesn’t recognize any wireless networks. It doesn’t even have a wireless network icon. The internet connection with red X in it is a broadband connection. When I click on it and open “network and internet settings”. Here is the list I get in left hand side.
Status
Ethernet
Dial-up
VPN
Data Usage
Proxy
HP Recommended

@Jpbull,

I read the super quick reply. Thanks for responding. It is a pleasure to have you back. Your time and patience are greatly appreciated. You've displayed amazing resilience, immaculate attitude and great technical abilities to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂 As @Flower_Bud is out for the day, I am responding on her behalf and taking over from here.

I would like to gather some information please:

• Did you perform all the steps from the different links mentioned in my earlier post?
  • Did you check if the computer works with a hardwired ethernet cable?

If you've tried all the steps, here and the issue continues, then to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related, please backup your important data and perform a Microsoft Push-button reset of Windows 10 from this link: https://hp.care/2toQrBj

Then try to connect to the wireless network and check if it works. if the issue still persists, then the wireless card has an issue and needs to be replaced.

If the computer is under warranty, then please contact HP phone support to get the card replaced or to send the computer in for repair.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: https://hp.care/2moMFSc 

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If it is out of warranty, then I am trying to save you some money by keeping your best interest in mind. 

f the issue still persists, a good workaround is to procure a wifi USB adapter and plug it to one of the USB ports. Then connect to the router with it. It is extremely cost effective and economical. You could get it for a song from a local Best Buy or Staples location or from an online portal like Amazon or eBay. This will do the trick for you to stay connected to the wireless network.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you for your response. Yes, I have tried all of the steps above. It looks like their is someone wrong with the wireless card. I believe I need to get it serviced. Unfortunately my hp is out of warranty. But I do have a usb wireless adapter. I can use that for now. Thank you for your help !!!!
HP Recommended

@Jpbull,

Thanks for the super quick response and glad to know that the issue has been resolved with a USB wifi adapter. Great efforts that didn't go in vain. All's well that ends well goes the adage.

Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I hope the product works great and lasts for a long time to come. It has been an absolute honor to work with you and terrific to share this platform with you.:)

If you think this helped, then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank God I looked at this as I was going to be charged £50 to have the WiFi card replaced!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.