Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 [23-c110xt]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy 23 All-in-One [23-c110xt]. I have owned it since 2014. I came ith Windows 8, and  later upgraded it to Windows 10. Over the years I have, as geek are want to do, installed a myriad of tools, software packages, games, etc., such that by last week, between the erratic behavior of my browser tabs, the sluggishness of the mouse pointer, etc., I really had no choice but to do a Windows 10 Reset (reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 10, while keeping my files). My network consists of the HP Envy hardwired to the router, as are the three NAS drives (2 are WD MyBooks and the third is a RAIDed Synology NAS). I have always been able to access these through the network without fail. The HP Envy 23 also has four external USB drives attached (3 are WD MyBooks and the fourth is a Seagate). AFter the reinstall, everything seemed fine until I tried to access one of the WD NAS and the Synology NAS - instead of the directory tree for each I was presented with the following error message: "Windows cannot access \\********\ (the name of the NAS drive is irrelevant obviously) Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try and identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose." There is a Diagnose button below this and when I click it, it goes through the motions of troubleshooting the issue but in the end it has no clue what the problem is. The "Details" panel shows an Error Code of 0x80004005 (Unspecified Error), so that didn't help the matter. I updated the Realtek drivers for the Network adapters, for Windows 10, but to no avail. 

Any thoughts?

Anthony

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AVRosati 

Please try following steps first

(a) Open File Explorer > Networks  - You should see your NAS there,

(b) Right click NAS and mount or map as Network drive

Now, it will ask you to enter password and mount as a normal drive. You can assign a letter for it, I use P: as shown

nas.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I tried that got this:

clipboard_image_0.png

What do I do now?

T.

HP Recommended

FYI, I am going through the process of upgrading (incrementally) the firmware on the Synology NAS, in the hopes that the latest version will be compatible with Windows 10 networking expectations.

T.

HP Recommended

The firmware upgrade corrected the access issue with the Synology NAS - the upgrade allowed me to select protocols higher than SMB 1. However, firmware upgrade of my WD My Book Live did not change the situation. I am purchasing a new WD NAS in the hopes I can move the data to the new one once it connects on the network.

I hope someone can assist me still in avoiding this fate...

T.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.