Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 21
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

With the help of someone (Paul) in the forum, I was able to finally get a ethernet controller driver installed from RealTek. It even shows that it was installed successfully in "details." I've been trying to do this because I'm wanting to wire (ethernet cable from modem to computer) so I don't have to depend on wifi. The light is now on from my ethernet cable from my desktop to the port on the modem. So I do have that going right. However, Windows still shows I'm configured and using wifi to connect to the internet and use my computer. Do I have to go in and disconnect the wifi connection? If I do, will the ethernet cable automatically "Take Over" and I'll be ok? or do I have to go into the system settings somewhere and change something? I've only been able to find other wifi options and nothing I understand that is an option to directly connect to internet with the ethernet cable. Anyone reading this can probably see that I'm not knowledgeable about this. Wifi is slow and very undependable where I'm living and causing problems. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!! Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, if you disconnect from the wifi connection, the ethernet adapter should take over if it reports working normally in the device manager.

See this guide for further info.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-281.html

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, if you disconnect from the wifi connection, the ethernet adapter should take over if it reports working normally in the device manager.

See this guide for further info.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-281.html

HP Recommended

Thank You Paul! I'm now connected to internet with ethernet cable and wifi disabled. I just found out according to RealTek that I'm just Leasing this ethernet controller driver and it expires next Sunday. I'm unable to find out from their site how much these cost or is this just a formality? Again, Thank You for All your help and May God Bless You, your family and love ones!!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I've never heard of any reports like that in the 8 years I have posted that driver to the hundreds of forum members over the years.

Are you sure it isn't referring to the ethernet connection lease?

Those expire and renew automatically.  It has to do with your router and whatnot.

God Bless you too, and have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.