Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My problem is the cursor is almost always moving to the far right of the screen on its own accord no matter if I'm on internet or in Word or on startup screen.  It even does this when the wireless mouse is not on.  The cursor can stay to the right for 15 seconds and when I can drag it back to where I want it, it goes to the right on its own accord again.

When in the internet, not only does the cursor move to the right, it decides to open up new "boxes" and sometimes new pages.  In Excel the cursor moves accross 10's of rows and columns by itself.  It's frustrating using Word because everytime I do the cursor moves and when I drag it back to finish typing the word/sentence the cursor moves again.  

I have a HP Pavilion All-In-One touchscreen purchased new in 2016.  The computer has worked perfectly for over a year but in the last 4 months I have had problems with this computer that frustrates me soooo much.  I use a wireless mouse and wifi.  I have Norton internet security and only do basic computer use eg Word, Excel and internet.  I dont do on-line games and my memory space is not full.  I use Windows 10.

I have cleaned the wireless mouse.  I have put the mouse dongle into another USB slot.  I have tried a different wireless mouse.  I have contacted Norton who checked my computer and said I have no viruses.  I have done a mouse diagnostic test and the mouse passed the test.

If anyone readers are going to suggest I reboot the computer, I ask how this can be done without losing my files and the software I paid for such as Microsoft Word, Norton, Nero, etc.

Any help, solutions, ideas would be appreciated thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ElsaG,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the cursor moves on its own and it clicks randomly.

I’d love to help!

I would like to inform you that this issue usually occurs when there is a virus or a malware on your computer.

I recommend you to run a full scan on your computer and make sure there are no virus or malware. For malware, you can also use malware bite and run that on your computer.

If the issue persists, then follow the steps in the below article.

http://hp.care/2qkQWr6

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply "The_Fossette".  

HP online chat support person got me to do a test of my computer and it turns out the touch screen feature is the cause of my problem.  The HP person showed me how to disable the touch screen feature and now the computer is working perfectly and no longer is the cursor moving on its own accord.  

HP has organised a computer technician to come to my home and repair the touch screen computer problem for me (and free of charge).  It is likely the technician will reset my computer so I have backed up my files and have contacted Microsoft of my situation and how to re-install Windows 10 and Home Office again (for free given I already paid for these products).

The technician is coming later this week and fingers crossed my touch screen feature will be fixed.

Regards

ElsaG

HP Recommended

Hello everyone.

Thank you to HP and the technician HP organised to come to my house today.  The technician put a new HP touch screen on my computer and within 45 minutes my computer problem has now been fixed.  I'm very happy and I did not lose any files or software as part of the repair.  Thank you so much.

Regards

Elsa G

HP Recommended

Hi again,

It is with sadness I have to announce that after 1 week, yes 1 week, my computer has now showing signs of what it was before I got a new screen installed in a HP contractor technician.

This is what I am now experiencing:

• Many areas of my 27 inch touch screen are non-responsive to touch
  • the cursor is flashing so fast non-stop i dont know if its on a position where i need to click
  • A permant square outline shape is on the screen (when computer is on) with a second cursor as a hand shape.  The square outline resembles the squares used in HP's touch-screen functioning test.

So my painful troubles continue.

Regards,

Elsa G

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with my HP All in One. I have tried changing my mouse from a wireless to a wired mouse (thinking I was getting interference) and then back to a new HP mouse. The same issue continued where the mouse would not only move on its own (usually to the upper left part of the screen), it would click on a site on its own. It did not matter which program I was in including Outlook, CHROME and EXCEL. I ran two different registry cleaners and scanned my computerthree straight times for malware. No change in performance.

I read what you did and found out how to disable the touch screen. So far (an hour now) this has resolved the problem. This is not a major issue for me as I rarely used the touch screen feature.

I will watch for the next week to make sure this work around has helped.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.