Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 795-0010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had a six year old Envy and was having issues with WIFI dropping and the computer becoming not connected to any Network.  I decided to purchase a new computer and chose the Envy 795-0010. 

This new computer occasionally starts with the no network symbol on the lock screen.  After entering my ID i have found that clicking on the symbol allows the computer to proceed connected to the wifi network and internet.  Sometimes more than not the lock screen shows the internet connected symbol.

In checking the Maintenance Reliability history i see the critical error "Commrecovery Stopped Working" is indicated.  Since HP has developed a specific application to address recovery I would like suggestions that could resolve this issue.   Is this related to Windows 10 or hardware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jameswford There are no WiFi issues as such, however, you may follow the below steps to ensure the WiFi is always connected automatically, if it isn't doing that at the moment:

1. Left click or tap on the “Start” button.
  2. In the Start window you need to write the following: “services.msc” without the quotes.
  3. When the search is finished, left click or tap on the “services.msc” icon that pops up.
  4. Now you have a “Services” window in front of the screen.
  5. Look on the right side panel in this window for “WLAN Autoconfig”
  6. Right click or hold tap on the “WLAN Autoconfig” feature.
  7. Left click or tap on the “Properties” feature for the “WLAN Autoconfig” option.
  8. Left click or tap on the “General” tab situated in the upper side of the “Properties” window.
  9. On the right from the “Startup type”, you will need to left click on the drop-down menu and select “Automatic” feature.
  10. Left click or tap on the “Start” button in this window.
  11. Left click or tap on the “Apply” button.
  12. Left click or tap on the “OK” button.
  13. Close all the windows you opened so far and reboot your Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.
  14. Check to see if you have your wireless up and running again.

As for the "Commrecovery Stopped Working", An obsolete or defective version of HPCommRecovery.exe can cause problems & you may uninstall it to resolve the issue, 

1. Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
  2. Type the word uninstall.
  3. Click Add or remove programs.
  4. Now locate CommRecovery in the list of displayed applications.
  5. Click the program, and then click Uninstall.

After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of CommRecovery. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for CommRecovery or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jameswford There are no WiFi issues as such, however, you may follow the below steps to ensure the WiFi is always connected automatically, if it isn't doing that at the moment:

1. Left click or tap on the “Start” button.
  2. In the Start window you need to write the following: “services.msc” without the quotes.
  3. When the search is finished, left click or tap on the “services.msc” icon that pops up.
  4. Now you have a “Services” window in front of the screen.
  5. Look on the right side panel in this window for “WLAN Autoconfig”
  6. Right click or hold tap on the “WLAN Autoconfig” feature.
  7. Left click or tap on the “Properties” feature for the “WLAN Autoconfig” option.
  8. Left click or tap on the “General” tab situated in the upper side of the “Properties” window.
  9. On the right from the “Startup type”, you will need to left click on the drop-down menu and select “Automatic” feature.
  10. Left click or tap on the “Start” button in this window.
  11. Left click or tap on the “Apply” button.
  12. Left click or tap on the “OK” button.
  13. Close all the windows you opened so far and reboot your Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.
  14. Check to see if you have your wireless up and running again.

As for the "Commrecovery Stopped Working", An obsolete or defective version of HPCommRecovery.exe can cause problems & you may uninstall it to resolve the issue, 

1. Click the Windows Start Button. You find it in the lower left corner of the taskbar.
  2. Type the word uninstall.
  3. Click Add or remove programs.
  4. Now locate CommRecovery in the list of displayed applications.
  5. Click the program, and then click Uninstall.

After uninstalling, restart your computer. Then start Windows Explorer and see if there is still a folder with the name of the software under C:\Program Files. Be sure to check the Registry as well for remnants of CommRecovery. To do this, start "Regedit", then look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "Software" for CommRecovery or the name of the producer. Always keep in mind that only a computer professional should ever directly delete entries in the Windows Registry.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First issue is resolved.  Changed the setting on WLAN Autoconfig and this has eliminated the occasional disconnect of the internet connection.

As to the CommRecovery Stopped Working this issue remains.  I cannot find CommRecovery in the list of displayed applications however there is a folder for this program. 

HP Recommended

@jameswford That's awesome, as for CommRecovery, please delete the folder and follow the registry editor (ensure you backup the registry first) and then perform the rest of the steps to fix that issue as well.

Keep me posted and good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry to say I spoke too early in resolving the first part of my previous message.  The computer upon booting again occasionally displays the No Network or Interconnect Symbol on the lock screen.  Clicking the symbol leads to the login screen for password entry but the symbol in now changed to wireless connection and remains that way through the session.  This an improvement over the last computer as the connection does not drop and require deleting the network adapter in Control Panel and rebooting the computer.  This issue does not appear at all boots just some about one every other day.  Any other thoughts?

On the CommRecovery issue the folder I found is fully populated with application files etc. Could this be still operating?  Wanted to advise you before deleting the folder.

HP Recommended

@jameswford It's possible the way the icon is displayed for wifi was changed after an update, as long as it still connects to the internet without any issues, it should be fine, as for, the CommRecovery, if the issue persists, please go ahead and delete all files and let me know how that goes.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.