2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Dual band Compatible WiFi Card Envy 700-074 Model #H5Q09AA

HP Recommended
Envy 700-074
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Wanting to upgrade my Envy 700-074 from single-band 2.4Ghz 1 x 1 technology to a Dual Band wireless card to utilize 5.0Ghz internet.

Currently the machine has a Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adaptor installed that came originally with machine

Processor is Intel Core i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00Ghz 4 cores

Motherboard: MS-7826 (Kaili) Form Factor uATX

Expansion slots: 1 PCI Express x16 (Gen3.0);  3 PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0); 1 half-length mini card

What card would I need that would be compatable with these specs. Or, where can I go to find this information?

Thank you for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,577 24,229 2,824 10,337
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Eaglemom, welcome to the forum.

Here is a wireless card that will work for you.  You will need a router that is capable of using 802.11ac, also.  I had this card in an HP Omen Gaming Laptop and it worked great with my ASUS router.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
eaglemom
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I see where you put this card in a laptop. Do you have any knowledge of it being in a desk top? Looking at this card it looks like to the Ralink RT3290 presently in the machine so I am sure it will fit space wise, but give me the 5.0 I am seeking. 

My router offers 2.4 and 5.0 options so I am good there!

Also, have you had issues with it being white listed by HP? If so, how were you able to resolve it? 

I know quite a bit about computers, but there is also quite a bit I do not know! 

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,577 24,229 2,824 10,337
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Thank you for the additional information.

Here is the wireless card that is installed in the computer according to the Product Specifications:

Figure : Wireless card - top view Wireless card - top view

• Interface type: PCI express half-length mini card
  • Data transfer speeds: Up to 150 Mbps
  • Transmission standards: 802.11b/g/n
  • Antenna: Single band 2.4 GHz
  • Operating range: Depends on environment
  • Security:
    • WPA-PSK
    • WPA2-PSK
    • TKIP
    • AES

You will find this information in the section titled Networking.  The card that I suggested will fit into the same slot.  Here are the expansion slots on the motherboard:

One PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0)

• Three PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
  • One PCI Express half-length mini card socket

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation