Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-d0139no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anybody now if the connection to the computer from the wireless keyboard that comes with the purchase, is encrypted. If it is not, then it is easy for your neighbors to snoop on everything that you write, passwords, credit card numbers and so on. A receiver for this costs only 10 USD. HP customer support refuses to answer this question.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
I doubt it, but it would take a specific device, each keyboard in general corresponds to a receiver, it would therefore be necessary to have the right frequency or whatever ..
But given the maximum transmission / reception range, I think the hacker would have to be pretty close, right?
You have more risk of being hacked by your mailbox, or by internet directly !!

but if you are too scared, use a wired keyboard, and avoid wifi too

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I yesterday got a reply from HP support thrugh whatsapp. The keyboard connection was not encrypted so I have bought a new keyboard.

”The “KeySweeper” is a tiny, arduino-powered wireless sniffer that captures data sent by your wireless keyboard to its receiver. That’s right—it’s a keylogger, and it doesn’t have to be plugged into your computer to work.”

You can be serveral km from the keyboard and it is much cheaper to buy off the shelf stuff to make a sniffer.

I have very little risk of being hacked  by my mailbox because I nerver open mail from people that I dont expect a mail from. I block javascripts when opening Mails.

I have blocked incomming and ourgoing connections in Word, exel, Acrobat PDF, VLC and many other programs that dont need connections. I also use dangerzone that converts images and other files to safe pfd-files

I use spyshelter that gives me alerts of every new action that is being made in my computer. If a process is doing something that I have not allowed previously, then I get to choose between accept, deny or terminate process. Good even for privacy because many of the 10000+ Outgoing connection that Windows does per day are being blocked by me. I only allow security uppdates. Better than O&O shoutup, that is only blockning 160 of the privacy invasive actions that Windows does like keylogging.

when doing risky surfing I am booting into a USB stick that runs a live mode operating system in RAM and nothing is ever saved on disc. Nothing have been saved anywhere when I shut off.

Full disc encryption with prevention for cold boot attacks and brute force attacks. Everything on disc is always encrypted with 3 layers of algoritms, Serpent, twofish and AES. Only deceypted in RAM. I have deactivated Intel Optane because of security reasons.

Of course Wi-Fi is off, bluetooth is off. I Use cable for internet access so the computer is on flight mode.

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I yesterday got a reply from HP support thrugh whatsapp. The keyboard connection was not encrypted so I have bought a new keyboard.

”The “KeySweeper” is a tiny, arduino-powered wireless sniffer that captures data sent by your wireless keyboard to its receiver. That’s right—it’s a keylogger, and it doesn’t have to be plugged into your computer to work.”

You can be serveral km from the keyboard and it is much cheaper to buy off the shelf stuff to make a sniffer.

I have very little risk of being hacked  by my mailbox because I nerver open mail from people that I dont expect a mail from. I block javascripts when opening Mails.

I have blocked incomming and ourgoing connections in Word, exel, Acrobat PDF, VLC and many other programs that dont need connections. I also use dangerzone that converts images and other files to safe pfd-files

I use spyshelter that gives me alerts of every new action that is being made in my computer. If a process is doing something that I have not allowed previously, then I get to choose between accept, deny or terminate process. Good even for privacy because many of the 10000+ Outgoing connection that Windows does per day are being blocked by me. I only allow security uppdates. Better than O&O shoutup, that is only blockning 160 of the privacy invasive actions that Windows does like keylogging.

when doing risky surfing I am booting into a USB stick that runs a live mode operating system in RAM and nothing is ever saved on disc. Nothing have been saved anywhere when I shut off.

Full disc encryption with prevention for cold boot attacks and brute force attacks. Everything on disc is always encrypted with 3 layers of algoritms, Serpent, twofish and AES. Only deceypted in RAM. I have deactivated Intel Optane because of security reasons.

Of course Wi-Fi is off, bluetooth is off. I Use cable for internet access so the computer is on flight mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.