Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Beats All in 1 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Cant get computer to recognize ethernet. The pc is running windows 10 copied from another computer of mine. The realtek adapter is there. I have tried enabling and disabling, reinstalling, network reset. Nothing has worked... Any other options?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jd24_ Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Did you check the network status in the network and sharing center?

As you've mentioned there's no power coming out of the LAN port, does that mean there are no lights blinking on it when connected to the Ethernet port? If there are no lights, it could be a hardware failure & you could get either a USB network adapter as a replacement or Contact HP to have it either repaired or replaced.

While you respond to that, let's start with the basics:
(because sometimes the simplest things goes unnoticed causing issues)

Step 1: Completing the network connection checklist

Use the following checklist to solve many problems with home networks in Windows 10:

• Check all of the network cables and wires. A loose or disconnected cable or wire prevents a network connection and Internet access. Check the following connections:

• Network cable from the modem to the network hub (or router).

• Network cable from the network hub to the RJ-45 network port on the computer.

Figure : Shape of RJ-45 connector

• Network cable between two computers.

• Check the lights on the network hub. The lights can often show the location of a connection problem.

• If you are trying to connect to another computer on the network, make sure that computer is turned on.

• Check the firewall settings on all the computers on the network. The firewall settings may be preventing network access.

After performing the items in the checklist, try to connect to the network.

If you do not experience further problems with the network, you are done.

If you are still experiencing problems with the network, check the network status.

Step 2: Checking the network status in the Network and Sharing Center

Use the following steps to open the Network and Sharing Center to check the network status in Windows 10.

1. Type view network status in the search box on the taskbar, then select View network status and tasks from the search results.

Figure : Search for view network status

Search results for view network status

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted,

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.