Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite e9280t CTO Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My ethernet port has an error 10 and will not accept a driver update.  A repairman mentioned two options, the power supply 460w was too low and/or do a clean install of windows 7.   I see an open port - add an ethernet card?  The Wireless ethernet works so I can function.  Just prefer the ethernet speed.  Problem occurred when I tried to update to Windows 10 and it locked up the PC.  Reloaded Windows 7 and the computer came back less the ethernet port.

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry the manual driver install didn't work.

I guess it could be a bad ethernet adapter but usually when they go bad, they disappear from the device manager altogether.

But since it appears you tried everything else to get it to work...

You can add an internal PCIe x1 gigabit ethernet adapter, or you could get an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter.

Just note that with the USB 2 ports your PC has, you may not get the full gigabit ethernet connection.

But if you are not paying for gigabit download speeds, I guess that wouldn't be critical.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you try manually installing the driver?

I pulled the drivers out of the sp43174 exe file from your PC's support page, zipped them up and attached them below.

Download, and unzip the file I attached to its folder.   Don't do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager, click on the ethernet controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Paul, 

Yes I've tried the manual setup before with no success. 

I download the driver and it says it is in c:user/rick/downloads/ethernet.  When I double click the ethernet controller on the Device Manager pauses for 20 secounds or so and pops up the message "Error getting the adaptor info".  When I right click the ethernet adapter in the Device Manager and try to upload changes it says the latest drives are installed.  The Device Manager notes a yellow triangle with an exclamation point.   Under properties in says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"  When I right click the device mangager ethernet line it offers "Update Driver".  I tried that but when I drill to the ethernet directory it does not show that it exists.  It's like it is hiddened.  Could the adapter just be bad and I buy another one to put in the remaining open slot?  All suggestions are appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry the manual driver install didn't work.

I guess it could be a bad ethernet adapter but usually when they go bad, they disappear from the device manager altogether.

But since it appears you tried everything else to get it to work...

You can add an internal PCIe x1 gigabit ethernet adapter, or you could get an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter.

Just note that with the USB 2 ports your PC has, you may not get the full gigabit ethernet connection.

But if you are not paying for gigabit download speeds, I guess that wouldn't be critical.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.