cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Finding the right Network adaptor

HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1380t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to pick out a Network Adaptor that will work on my older PC. I have 1 PCI Express X16 Gen2.0 and 3 PCI Express X1 Gen2.0 slots available. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
122,898 113,079 18,192 27,765
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is the latest wifi adapter HP has out there that works in a PCIe x1 slot...

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA7-5765ENW.pdf

I have the Intel 7265 AC model of this adapter, and love it.

I got mine on eBay.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input!  I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my 1st post, I'm looking for a card to replace the ethernet connection. A lightning strike took out the main network adaptor on my motherboard. I'm looking at adaptors like this and I just want to be sure I get the right one. 

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Intel+EXPI9301CTBLK+Network+Adapter+10/100/1000Mbps+PCI-Express+1+x+RJ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with picking out PCIe x1 ethernet adapters.

In theory either of those ethernet card should work, but what concerns me on so many HP PC's is for some reason PCIe x1 ethernet cards don't work, and I don't know on which models they do and which ones they don't.

But on the ones that don't, they all react the same way...the PC won't boot up with the card installed.

I know if it were me and I was looking for an ethernet adapter, I would go the safe bet and buy a USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter.

Something like this...it plugs into one of your PC's rear USB port.

Since your PC only has USB 2 ports, you will not get the full 1 GBPS throughput.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchi...

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I really want to try the PCI card, but if I have problems with that then I'll definitely try the USB adapter. I'll let you know how it go's. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hopefully one of those two Intel cards will work.

Intel makes great ethernet chips.

If the PC boots up with the card installed, you should be home free.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Paul, quick update. The network adapter arrived yesterday and I got it installed this morning. So far so good. It was a quick and easy install and the PC booted up no problem. It's up and running with no problems. 

Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad your new PCIe x1 ethernet adapter is working just fine.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation