Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 24-g020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my network provider out twice now and the last time (yesterday) was proven that my modem/router is putting out 400mbs.  My desktop either wired or wireless is only averaging 50mbs on the download. All though the card is a only a 2.4g, I would expect to be able to see close to 200mps download.

There has been no new hardware installed, the update software and drivers per HP directions have been done. I can not remember the last time I had a high speed as I usually don't check it that much. I have noticed over the last several months a increase on how long it has taken to either download a page or to  update the page.

I have run all the diagnostics that HP has provided with no problem.  I have a Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn wifi adapter.  I also have the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller, which I believe is my hardwire connection. Now if this is true, I should be getting close to a 400mbs download, which I am not. Still getting the 50 mbs.

Can anyone help guide me in the right direction. It really is important for me to get my download speed  up to speed.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @texasowl10940, Welcome to HP forums.

Don't worry I'm here to help you out. Let me ask you a few questions in order to assist you better.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Are the other devices connected to the network working fine?

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Let's continue with the troubleshooting steps now.

Update Windows to the latest version and check if it helps.

Try updating the BIOS and wireless drivers on your PC.

Uninstall the wireless drivers from device manager and install the drivers from the links below.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, update the wireless driver using this link. Click Here

Note: Before uninstallation of the wireless drivers make sure your PC is connected via ethernet cable.

Also, you can update other drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Try the steps recommended below to solve the wireless issue with your PC.

Change channel width for your network adapter

Press Windows Key + S and enter type network. Chose Network and Sharing Center from the list of results.
When Network and Sharing Center opens, click the Change adapter settings.
Locate your wireless adapter and right click it. Choose Properties from the menu.
When Properties window opens, navigate to the Advanced tab.
Select the 802.11 channel width and change the value. Some users have reported that changing the value to 20 MHz has fixed the issue for them, but you might have to use a different value.
Click OK to save the changes.

Disable IPv6 on your computer and router

To solve “Windows 10 can’t connect to this network” error, sometimes you have to disable IPv6 network protocol. To do this in Windows 10, follow these steps:

Open Network and Sharing Center.
Find the Connections section and click your current connection.
Connection status window will open. Click the Properties button.
Find Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP /IPv6) and uncheck it.
Click OK button to save the changes.
Restart your computer in order to apply the changes.

Click the Start Button.
Type “Device Manager” and press Enter.
Click Continue if prompted.
Click the [+] next to Network adapters.
Right Click on “Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC” or similar Wireless card.
Click Properties.
Click on the Advanced Tab.
Click on 802.11d.
On the right-hand side change the drop down to Enabled.
The  following steps are optional but may help:
Select TX power level.
On the right-hand side change the drop down to 100%.
Select Wireless mode.
On the right-hand side change the drop-down menu to “IEEE 802.11b/g”.
Click OK.

Manually change network settings

Manually changing the network settings can resolve wireless connection issues. Create a restore point in Windows, and then manually change the network settings.
Using the search box on the taskbar, search for and open Create a restore point.
The System Properties window displays.
Click Create.
Type a name for the restore point, and then click Create.
Windows creates the restore point.
Using the search box on the taskbar, search for Command Prompt. In the results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
If a User Account Control screen displays asking if you want to allow the app to make changes to your computer, click Yes.

Type the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter after each one.

ipconfig/flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
To open the TCP Global Settings, type netsh int tcp show global in Command Prompt and then press Enter.
Make sure all settings are disabled except Receive-Side Scaling State.
Close Command Prompt, reboot the system and then try to connect to the Internet.

Forget the wireless connection

If you’re having “Windows 10 can’t connect to this network” error, you might want to “forget” your wireless connection in order to fix this problem. To forget wireless network on Windows 10, do the following:

Open Settings App and go to Network & Internet.
Go to Wi-Fi section and click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
Scroll down to the Manage known networks, select your Wireless network and click Forget.
After you’ve done that, connect to the same wireless network again.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot wireless issues with your laptop.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try running a system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr. Robot,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. 

I tried all the suggestions you gave me and now worked. I even did as you said, to delete the driver, reinstall, update my bios, even did the manual network cleaning.  Nothing changed the download or upload time.

I think I will see if I can by a USB network card that has the 5 Mbps level on it. I know my internal card is only a 2.4 Mbps.  I don't believe my model HP has a card attached to the motherboard.

Again, thank you for your help and if you happen to have some other advice you think my help, please don't hesitate to contact me.

HP Recommended

Hi! @texasowl10940, thanks for your kind response.

I would suggest upgrading the wireless card on the PC to a better one.

You can buy a USB wireless AC adapter to enhance the wireless performance of your PC.

You can purchase this USB wireless adapter from any third party website.

Here's one I found from Amazon. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.