Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 500-203a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just upgraded to Fibre 100 and my HP 500-203a  wifi speed is way less than  that for my laptop or phones ie 80% slower.  Phones and laptop are getting 80-90 mbps, whereas desktop struggles to get 5 mbps

I have done a full reset and checked the wifi adapter drivers is up to date.  The PC is situated 3 meters away from the modem in the same room.  I could connect via ethernet cable but I dont want a cable running across the room 

Adapter is: Ralink RT3290 802.11

Desktop is : 500-203a

Windows 10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome.  Thank you for the additional information, @Eraquis.

If it were me having your problems, I would upgrade my wifi adapter to a dual band AC.  You have an older adapter with newer technology in your home.  These don't always play good together.

I have an Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC 7265 wireless adapter in my HP Omen X.  I have Gigabit Fiber at 100 Mbps down and 30 up.  When I do the test it runs 100+ down and 30+ up.  I have two walls and a floor between my Access Point and my computer.

I suggest choosing a manufacturer and contacting their Tech Support for help with choosing the best adapter fory your situation.  They are the experts on their products.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Eraquis, welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you update the driver for the wi-fi adapter.  The best option is, go into Device Manager/Network adapters and right click on your adapter.  Select Update driver and if there is an updated driver it will be installed.  If this doesn't work, I suggest that you contact your ISP's Tech Support for help.  They should be able to help easily.  It may simply be a configuration problem.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

@old_geekster, thanks for the reply

I have reinstalled the wireless adapter driver and checked for any updates.  No luck - still very slow

Have just finished a half hour chat with Spark NZ , my ISP provider and to be honest they were of little help.  They got me to reset the router etc...and confirmed theres no problem  especially with all other devices getting gret speeds

Is there any online info I could read on how to check the configuration?

Regards

HP Recommended

You are very welcome.  Thank you for the additional information, @Eraquis.

If it were me having your problems, I would upgrade my wifi adapter to a dual band AC.  You have an older adapter with newer technology in your home.  These don't always play good together.

I have an Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC 7265 wireless adapter in my HP Omen X.  I have Gigabit Fiber at 100 Mbps down and 30 up.  When I do the test it runs 100+ down and 30+ up.  I have two walls and a floor between my Access Point and my computer.

I suggest choosing a manufacturer and contacting their Tech Support for help with choosing the best adapter fory your situation.  They are the experts on their products.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your advice

Ive been looking into upgrading, but found many HP products (likely the 500-203a)  have a Wireless Network Card BIOS Whitelist.  So Im just trying to find which cards will be compatable

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.