Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 34 inch All-in-One Desktop PC 34-c1000 (4G584AV)

Hi, my internet connection drops out after display timer expires.  I suspect it has to do with network adaptor power settings.  I would like the NA to stay on all the time however there is no Power Management tab to manage this.  I have set the PCI Express Link Sate Power management to Off and performed the HP update checker but that appears not to fix my problem.  How do I get this Power Management tab back? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ColinR66,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're experiencing issues with your internet connection dropping out after the display timer expires, it's possible that the network adapter is being affected by power management settings. Here's how you can try to resolve this issue.

Update Network Adapter Drivers: Ensure that your network adapter drivers are up to date. You can do this by going to the Device Manager, finding your network adapter, right-clicking on it, and selecting "Update driver."

Check Power Management Settings: Although you mentioned that there's no Power Management tab, you can still check and adjust power management settings for your network adapter. Here's how:

• Open Device Manager (you can search for it in the Windows search bar).
  • Find your network adapter under the "Network adapters" section.
  • Right-click on your network adapter and select "Properties."
  • Look for a "Power Management" tab. If it's not there, it's possible that your network adapter doesn't support power management configuration through Device Manager.

Power Options: You can also check your system's power options to ensure that there's nothing there causing the network adapter to power off. Here's how:

• Open Control Panel.
  • Go to "Hardware and Sound" > "Power Options."
  • Click on "Change plan settings" next to your selected power plan.
  • Click on "Change advanced power settings."
  • Look for settings related to the network adapter under "Wireless Adapter Settings" or "PCI Express" settings. Make sure they're set to allow the adapter to stay on during sleep or idle.

BIOS Settings: Sometimes, power management settings for devices are controlled through the BIOS. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup (usually by pressing a key like F2, F10, or Del during boot). Look for any power management settings related to the network adapter and adjust them if necessary.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue with your network adapter dropping out after the display timer expires.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi, the network adapter drivers are up to date as I perform the HP Support Assistant, also from the update driver from the device manager.  Power management settings are not available in the properties setting.  A question here for HP is should it be there and if it should how to get it back?  Power settings are PCI Express power set to Off.  For BIOS, there is no such setting that I can see as it HP does not allow access to any advanced BIOS setting.  Can you share how to access these BIOS settings?  

HP Recommended

Hi @ColinR66,

Thank you for your response,

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.