Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17t-s100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I  have Suddenlink cable internet service (400mbps download).  A Suddenlink tech visited my home this morning and confirmed that I am getting 400mbps+ at the Netgear modem.  However, when I connect the laptop to the modem via ethernet cable, I am only able to get download speeds of about 100mpbs when I test the speed via Speedtest.net.

Is the network adapter in the laptop speed-limited in some fashion?  What other possibilities are there for the loss of speed when direct-connected?  What are possible solutions??

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BWare1947 wrote:

Is there any way to swap out the 10/100 NIC for s 10/100/1000 NIC?

Hi,

Sorry no, the NIC port is soldered to the motherboard. I'm actually using

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/Aluminum-3-Port-USB-3.0-and-Ethernet-Hub/A7514041

I've got 2 more USB 3.0 ports.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@BWare1947

Your machine is a CTO machine, it can have one of the following options

• Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2×2 WiFi + Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro)
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

The following document shows speed of the Intel AC 7265 IN THEORY

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-72...

We will never get to theory speed. 

>>> What other possibilities are there for the loss of speed when direct-connected?

Your machine only has Integrated 10/100 network interface card (NIC) . This explains where numer 100 comes from.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

1.  The Intel Wireless adapter is the AC 7265--but that has nothing to do with my problem when I'm connected to the modem via ethernet cable.

2.  I thought the ENVY 17T has an Integrated10/100/1000 NIC, in which case it should be able to handle the 400mbps speed being delivered at the modem.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@BWare1947 wrote:

Hi,

Sorry no, the NIC port is soldered to the motherboard. I'm actually using

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/Aluminum-3-Port-USB-3.0-and-Ethernet-Hub/A7514041

I've got 2 more USB 3.0 ports.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.