Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Smart Apps Password Mobile (Android Version) keeps requiring a reset before using it for the Desktop / Laptop (Windows 10 & 11 Versions).  And The HP Smart Apps Password Desktop / Laptop (Windows 10 & 11 Versions) keeps requiring a reset before using it for the Mobile (Android Version).

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

What I'm really trying to say is the HP Smart apps Password needs to be reset before switching from using the mobile version to PC version and from the PC version to the mobile version. Sorry if I'm not clear in the beginning.

HP Recommended

@Dave1441 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

@Dave1441 wrote:

The HP Smart Apps Password Mobile (Android Version) keeps requiring a reset before using it for the Desktop / Laptop (Windows 10 & 11 Versions).  And The HP Smart Apps Password Desktop / Laptop (Windows 10 & 11 Versions) keeps requiring a reset before using it for the Mobile (Android Version).

What I'm really trying to say is the HP Smart apps Password needs to be reset before switching from using the mobile version to PC version and from the PC version to the mobile version. Sorry if I'm not clear in the beginning.

Honestly, it still does not make sense to me - I admit I am Android challenged.

The sign-in for HP Smart in Windows uses your HP Account credentials.

The sign-in for HP Smart mobile uses your HP Account credentials.

Not sure why there would be any conflict in the account sign-in.

Might be a glitch in the Android side.

If that is the case, something here might fix the problem.

HP printers - 'Feature Unavailable' displays in HP Smart (Android) 

If you have not done so,

Try / Consider

Reset the HP Smart application running in Windows

Note that afterwards, you'll have to complete the printer setup.

Open Settings > Apps > Apps & Features

Scroll down, find HP Smart

Windows 10 > Right-Click on the app > Advanced options

Windows 11 > Click on 3-vertical dots > Advanced options

Section Reset > Select Reset

“If this app still isn’t working right, reset it.  The app’s data will be deleted.”

HP_Smart_W10_Apps-and-Features_ Reset_1HP_Smart_W10_Apps-and-Features_ Reset_1

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

References / Resources

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

OR

Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer

Category Software and Drivers > Check/ Get the App

>>> Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

NOTES: 

• Read FAQ -  including - What are the requirements to set up a printer using the HP Smart app?

• Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.

• Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.

• Enable Bluetooth for an HP Smart app setup: Enable Bluetooth on your computer or mobile device so that HP Smart can detect the printer during the setup.  Source: How to scan with an HP printer > FAQ > Why can't I connect my wireless printer or scan over the network?

• HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.

• When working through a browser to access HP Smart, be sure you have Cookies enabled.  If cookies are enabled and you are having trouble, clear Cache and Cookies.   And / Or … Try a different browser – assign that browser as the Default. (Note:  Chrome not working?  Use / Assign a different default browser.)

• Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed.  For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.

• Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
    •  FAQ examples: 
      • What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
      • Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
      • Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
      • Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
    • Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
    • Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart

===================================================

Mobile Printing – Options for Printers

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Open the section for your printer series  >  Find your printer and supported applications.

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

iOS_Here

HP Smart (Mobile) - iOS and Android >>> Download, How-to, and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

Product Home

Enter the device type and model name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I'm sorry if I'm not clear in reporting my problem. Let me start over. First, I'm not having a problem in using HP Smart Apps on my Windows 10 HP PC, or on my Windows 11 HP Laptop or on my Android Mobile phone.

The problem I'm having is with the Password. When I try signing in, I first supply my Email Address, then I enter the password. If I get a password is invalid message, I take the steps to reset it. What happens if the password reset was done for PC & the Laptop Windows version then the HP Smart doesn't have a password problem any longer and it works fine. 

Now if I try to run the Mobile version of the HP Smart and after entering the password, I get a password invalid message. So, I do the password reset for the Mobile version. After the Password reset is done for the Mobile version, then the HP Smart doesn't have a password problem any longer and it works fine. But the Windows version now broken again.

HP Recommended

@Dave1441 

Well, I thought I understood - and I continue to think so.  I guess not.  It happens.

Reminder to those reading:

HP Account and its password are unique to HP accounts and applications. HP Account has naught to do with your email, network, or other accounts and passwords used anywhere else.

If the source of the problem were based in the HP Smart application, chances are good that the Reset would have fixed it.

It was worth trying.  While the application does not control the password in any way, there are instructions and information stored as part of the application that can become corrupted.  Seemed possible even if not Likely.

Your HP Account password is not generally something that needs to be reset - just doesn't work that way as a rule.

The HP Account and its password are something like a gateway key - it is true that if the HP Account and password do not work, then all HP venues and applications will have issues across the board.

I don't have a solution for this other than uninstalling the HP Smart app everywhere and starting over.  If you have already done this, there is no use in repeating the exercise - if it were going to work, it would have done so.

The best I can now is to send the question for review by our moderator team.  It seems that I cannot help after all.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It sounds to me that you are caught in a vicious circle of the Android device somehow is not syncing the password change with HP's servers.  (I use HP Smart on both my Android phone and several HP PC's).

You seem to be "one password behind" each time you change OS's, forcing a reset to a new password each time.

I would follow @Dragon-Fur 's advice and delete/reinstall HP Smart on your phone and be absolutely sure you use the same account details (name and password) that is working on the PC's.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you all, for trying to Help. What I recently tried was to do what was suggested by a few of you. Sorry can't recall ids. I'm lucky I can recall mine. At was to uninstall the Mobile - Android Version of HP Smart from the Smart Phone. Then I supplied the Same Email Address and tried to enter the password, but it was rejected. So clicked on can't Remember Password, and I was able to reset the password. As it has been reported before after doing a password reset the HP Smart App, in this case the Mobile - Android version works okay. But now the Windows version has the problem of an invalid password again. And resetting the password for the Windows version, knocks out password for the Mobile - Android version. Yes, I’m in an endless loop.

Another solution was to also un-install the Windows Version in addition. My concern is that I have five (5) printers' setup and two of them are quite old and I'm not sure I have the information to set them up again.

Thanks again for you all sticking with me on my own little ( ENDLESS LOOP ).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.