Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I was wondering if you can point me to a resource for HPs whitelist of its domains it uses for updates. I am running a Sophos firewall and want to update the BIOS using the UEFI interface in the BIOS. However it is getting blocked. I don't want to add an any-any rule as it defeats the point.

Any help would be appricated.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Luke831 -- do you have another computer (or access to one in a Public Library, or a friend with a computer) that you can use to download the update, and copy the update to your USB memory-stick, and then connect that memory-stick to your computer, to execute the update?

P.S. note that if your computer is connected to a router that has both WiFi and multiple Ethernet sockets, that device is already working as a "firewall", to block all "unsolicited" incoming traffic to every computer on your local network.  So, any software firewall won't see any of that "unsolicited" traffic. This leaves the router with a "black-list" of IP-addresses that it prevent you from accessing anything running on those IP-addresses.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the info, this could be done, however I was looking at a more specific solution as having the domains for HP updates. Updating the BIOS from the UEFI BIOS interface (White screen with mouse controls) not the old blue BIOS screen which I believe does not have the function of updating the BIOS from there.

Regards

Luke

HP Recommended

@Luke831 -- I do not see any advantage to "white-listing" a limited set of websites, and "blocking" every other non-listed site.  That's a lot of work by you, as your needs change.

not the old blue BIOS screen which I believe does not have the function of updating the BIOS from there.

I disagree with your belief.  Before UEFI interfaces superseded the "old-school" BIOS interface, every BIOS that I have used had an option to update the BIOS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.