Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP X4500 wireless mouse
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello

I have purchased  a new mouse - HP x4500. I have issues where the mouse will jump and on occasions will also not respond. By lifting, it seems to recover. I use a black mousemat.

Is this a known issue?

I have changed the batteries and also tried another USB port.

Also us it replaces a mouse/ keyboard could the keyboard USB interfere? or can you have both plugged in?

Keith

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You should be able to have both plugged in.

Is the mouse close to the receiver (1 metre or less) and is there nothing blocking or interfering the signal?

Try a different surface, such as a blank piece of paper or a cardboard folder. I've seen issues on glossy black surfaces.

Otherwise it could be a hardware fault with the mouse.

HP Recommended

Ok thanks. The USB is within 3 feet, I bought  a new mouse mat which is black, I assumed that would be best. The mouse seems to work for 80% of the time, then will either not move for a few seconds or will jump. I am wondering if it might be the PC, as the old one went wrong too. In that case the wheel started to play up. 

I can't believe the mouse is faulty! Or is it usual to get faulty ones?

HP Recommended

It's pretty rare to get a faulty one if it's a reputable brand.

The issues you've had have been different, which means you may have just been unlucky with faults.

After reading your reply - I reckon it might bey your PC software/drivers. I've had intermittent 'freezing' issues with the pointer after installing AMD graphics drivers. I couldn't work out how to stop it, so I rolled back the drivers.

Can you try a different mouse and see if the same issue happens?

HP Recommended

Yes I have had similar issues with other HP mice, I have the most up to date Nvidia drivers.

HP Recommended

It's hard to say sorry. Can you take it back the retailer and swap it out for another one?

HP Recommended

Ok thanks. One other thing - it seems to do it mainly when using Google chrome - is that  relevant?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.