Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
QP788AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hello, I'm currently having trouble connecting to wifi with my HP model 320-1030. I was able to connect to wifi perfectly fine the other day but have been having trouble today. When I troubleshoot it says to enable wireless capability via a switch on the computer or function keys on the keyboard. I've looked everywhere on the computer and there is no wireless switch and there is no wireless switch on the keyboard. I've pressed every function key as well which hasn't helped. I'm using keyboard model KG-1061. Is there a wifi switch somewhere on the computer or keyboard that I'm missing? Or is there a way to turn it on in system settings? I've uninstalled and reinstalled the wifi drivers as well and nothing has helped. I've also tried different USB ports for the wireless adapter and nothing has helped.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

This seems to be the driver.

Ralink Wireless Network Controller Driver Update

3.2.14.0 Rev. A33.3 MBAug 15, 2012Download

but why it has gone missing is a mystery.

HP offer this.....

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-touchsmart-320-1000-desktop-pc-series/5146287/model/5157097/...

Manual is here...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03255541

But none seem to address your problem.

Sometomes it is an Aeroplane Symbol that needs pressing, a Function key like F12.

HP Recommended

I've already tried to reinstall the drivers to no avail. I've also pressed the f12 key several times which never changed anything. There are also no symbols on the keyboard or monitor that indicate a Wifi/airplane switch.  I've also looked in the user manual which gives no info about a Wifi switch and I've tried the troubleshooting link as well which hasn't helped. Basically it says the same thing that troubleshooting in the pc's network center says, "to enable wifi by pressing a switch on the computer" when there is no switch. I've looked everywhere and nothing has worked so far. 

HP Recommended

Hi

It may well be a hardware failure.

Physical check, remove the adapter.

Boot and remove the drivers etc.

Refit and reboot and try a fresh install of the drivers.

HP Recommended
After doing all of those things with no different results. I restored back to a restore point before Windows Updates and the computer regained access to the internet. To make sure it was the update that cause this issue I reinstalled the updates and sure enough the pc lost internet connection again. Any suggestions on how to regain access after doing updates? Or should I just hold off on updates until a patch is released?
HP Recommended

Hi

There may be an issue with Security, in that MS has changed the Firewall Rules

A possible cause/reason is because the Firewall has had changes made to it in the background, and you are not getting out to the Router to be issued with an IP address by the DHCP part.

This also means a Fixed IP will probably fail similarly.

Possible solution....

Windows Defender Security Centre;

Restore Firewall to Default;

Then running the Network Troubleshooter.

HP Recommended

I restored to default which didn't show any different results. I also have Norton 360 and Malwarebytes on the PC so I'm not sure if that could be blocking anything but I doubt it. They were both running on the same settings as they are now before the pc starting having issues. I've also installed old network adapter drivers, and new network adapter drivers, restored the system to a restore point and still nothing works. It still says wireless capability is turned off even though there's no switch to turn it on. Untitled.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.