Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I had reinstalled the W7 OS after the HDD crashed. All went well, except HP does not provide the drivers (Ethernet/ Audio/ Some USB and the graphics) for their build in multi-card installation. (Obsolesce guaranteed!!)

The only reason why I want to stick to this "ancient" device is because I have some valuable software which doesn't run beyond W7 OS. (Don't you get a feeling of these "merchants" tightening the noose beyond endurance?)

I don't really mind the "brave new world" but I sure mind having been placed in a position of dependency. 

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your PC.

HP Pavilion p6-2429 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It came from HP with Windows 8, not Windows 7, which is why there are no W7 drivers for it on the support page.

Fortunately, there are W7 drivers (except for the audio), but you have to get them directly from the hardware component manufacturer's websites.

I can't help you with the audio, since there are only W7 64 bit drivers for that.

Here are the USB, graphics and ethernet drivers though.

First install the AMD chipset drivers and restart the PC.  That will install the USB3 controllers.

You want the W7 32 bit driver from the list.

870 Drivers & Support | AMD

Graphics:  Select the W7 32 bit driver and restart the PC.

A6-5400K with Radeon™ HD 7540D Drivers & Support | AMD

Ethernet:  Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W7 driver at the link below.

Realtek PCI GBE Ethernet Family Controller Software - REALTEK

Wi-Fi:

MediaTek (Ralink) 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN Adapter Driver

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71001-71500/sp71421.exe 

FWIW, here is the link to the W7 IDT audio driver.  If the 64-bit file also has the 32-bit drivers included, it should work.

Original IDT High Definition Audio Driver

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56851.exe 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your PC.

HP Pavilion p6-2429 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It came from HP with Windows 8, not Windows 7, which is why there are no W7 drivers for it on the support page.

Fortunately, there are W7 drivers (except for the audio), but you have to get them directly from the hardware component manufacturer's websites.

I can't help you with the audio, since there are only W7 64 bit drivers for that.

Here are the USB, graphics and ethernet drivers though.

First install the AMD chipset drivers and restart the PC.  That will install the USB3 controllers.

You want the W7 32 bit driver from the list.

870 Drivers & Support | AMD

Graphics:  Select the W7 32 bit driver and restart the PC.

A6-5400K with Radeon™ HD 7540D Drivers & Support | AMD

Ethernet:  Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W7 driver at the link below.

Wi-Fi:

MediaTek (Ralink) 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN Adapter Driver

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71001-71500/sp71421.exe 

FWIW, here is the link to the W7 IDT audio driver.  If the 64-bit file also has the 32-bit drivers included, it should work.

Original IDT High Definition Audio Driver

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56851.exe 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thank you; you did help me lots. Thank you again!

It all worked great, even the audio kicked in without much effort, except the Ethernet driver didn't lift her skirts up at all. No luck there:

Interestingly, the Wi-Fi works great.

many thanks for your help, mp

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Silly me...I just assumed your PC has the Realtek ethernet adapter like 90% of the consumer models have.

I looked over the specs again, and yours has the Atheros ethernet adapter.

HP does not have a W7 32-bit driver for that model ethernet adapter.

I had to do some searching around and think I found one that will work.

I got it from the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

I zipped up and attached the driver you need below.

You will need to manually install the driver as follows...

Download and unzip the file I attached to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager.

Click on the Ethernet controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for driver software' option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure that the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

HP Recommended

Eureka!!! Thank so much Paul. All is well. mp

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.