Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410f Des
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to get a faster network card. Is this possible for an older desktop. I hate to throw away a computer that still works well. ( Except downloads)

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest that you remove the wireless mini wireless adapter card and then install a PCIe x1 wireless card.  This is an example but there are many others makes, models.

I suggest that you review the specifications and capabilities of your wireless access point and see what speeds and frequencies are supported along with the advertised throughput.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I initially thought I had a card in my Hewlett-Packard HPE-410f  desktop. I don't, It's wired into the Mother Board.

I was thinking of installing a card and plugging an ethernet cable into the card. Would this work?

HP Recommended

Hi,

According to the specifications for your PC, the network wireless support is provided by a PCI-e half-length mini card which can be removed.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Dave, I'm not worried about my wireless card. I want to install a card that will support my "wired" at the faster speed that I am paying Comcast for. As I said in a previous Email,  the ethernet cable plugs into a hole that goes directly to the Mother Board.

I just wanted to know if I bought another card and plugged my ethernet cable into it and ignored the current ethernet "hole', would it work?

Thanks for replying

HP Recommended

HI,

The title of this thread is "network card".  The mini PCIe wireless card is the only network card in your PC.  The title is somewhat misleading.

The on board adapter in your PC is already rated for gigabit speeds.  Check with Comcast and make sure that your router is set up for gigabit speeds and that your network profile is enabled for gigabit speeds if in fact that is what you what to pay for the gigabit speed.  If you can get over 60% of the rated adapter then you are really doing quite well for an older PC. You might not even get that speed.

HP Recommended

Thank you Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.