Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (112 Views)
Accepted Solution

Increase speed on network adaptor

Product Name: Pavilion p6320y PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This computer has a LAN 802.11b/g/n wireless adapter card.  I have a Nighthawk AC1900 router.  My internet speeds are showing around 80 mbps but I have upgraded to a 200 mbps speed via my provider.  How can I get this computer to run faster, or do I need to upgrade my adapter card?

Accepted Solution

Re: Increase speed on network adaptor

@boyloco, welcome to the forum.

If your wireless card is only a single band (2.4 GHz) you will have to upgrade to a Dual Band (2.4 GHz / 5.0 GHz) and AC.  Even with the upgrade, I am not certain that you will obtain 200 Mbps download speeds.  You may have to use a wired connection.  Everything has to be perfect to obtain that speed.

I have a 100 Mbps fiber optic connection.  I don't have any problem hitting 100 Mbps, but I have nearly a direct line of sight to my Access Point.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (96 Views)

[ Edited ]

@boyloco, welcome to the forum.

If your wireless card is only a single band (2.4 GHz) you will have to upgrade to a Dual Band (2.4 GHz / 5.0 GHz) and AC.  Even with the upgrade, I am not certain that you will obtain 200 Mbps download speeds.  You may have to use a wired connection.  Everything has to be perfect to obtain that speed.

I have a 100 Mbps fiber optic connection.  I don't have any problem hitting 100 Mbps, but I have nearly a direct line of sight to my Access Point.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen X; i7-6700K; 16 GB DDR4 2133; GTX 1070; 256 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 6 (85 Views)

Thanks old_geekster (by the way I like your username).  When I go to the device manager it list the Qualcomm Atheros 802.11 a/g.n Dualband Wireless Network Module, and when I looked this up it states it can do 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz.  I will try to get it hooked up with a wired connection.  Thanks again for your help.

Provost
Message 4 of 6 (80 Views)

Thank you for the additional information @boyloco.

Here is a very good guide to help you understand the differences in Wireless n, g, and AC.  I am using AC to get the 100 Mbps download speed.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Message 5 of 6 (76 Views)

Thanks again for all the information. I will look into it. I do have a Nighthawk AC1900 currently connected. When my son was here he could get the 200 mbps on his laptop so it does work. I guess I will need to upgrade my computer adapter card or try a direct connection. Thanks again.
Provost
Message 6 of 6 (71 Views)

You are welcome, @boyloco.

I believe you should be fine if you upgrade the wireless adapter to AC and use 5.0.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++