cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
boyloco
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Increase speed on network adaptor

HP Recommended
Pavilion p6320y PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This computer has a LAN 802.11b/g/n wireless adapter card.  I have a Nighthawk AC1900 router.  My internet speeds are showing around 80 mbps but I have upgraded to a 200 mbps speed via my provider.  How can I get this computer to run faster, or do I need to upgrade my adapter card?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,509 9,152 2,950 11,188
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@boyloco, welcome to the forum.

If your wireless card is only a single band (2.4 GHz) you will have to upgrade to a Dual Band (2.4 GHz / 5.0 GHz) and AC.  Even with the upgrade, I am not certain that you will obtain 200 Mbps download speeds.  You may have to use a wired connection.  Everything has to be perfect to obtain that speed.

I have a 100 Mbps fiber optic connection.  I don't have any problem hitting 100 Mbps, but I have nearly a direct line of sight to my Access Point.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@boyloco, welcome to the forum.

If your wireless card is only a single band (2.4 GHz) you will have to upgrade to a Dual Band (2.4 GHz / 5.0 GHz) and AC.  Even with the upgrade, I am not certain that you will obtain 200 Mbps download speeds.  You may have to use a wired connection.  Everything has to be perfect to obtain that speed.

I have a 100 Mbps fiber optic connection.  I don't have any problem hitting 100 Mbps, but I have nearly a direct line of sight to my Access Point.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

boyloco
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks old_geekster (by the way I like your username).  When I go to the device manager it list the Qualcomm Atheros 802.11 a/g.n Dualband Wireless Network Module, and when I looked this up it states it can do 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz.  I will try to get it hooked up with a wired connection.  Thanks again for your help.

old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information @boyloco.

Here is a very good guide to help you understand the differences in Wireless n, g, and AC.  I am using AC to get the 100 Mbps download speed.

boyloco
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks again for all the information. I will look into it. I do have a Nighthawk AC1900 currently connected. When my son was here he could get the 200 mbps on his laptop so it does work. I guess I will need to upgrade my computer adapter card or try a direct connection. Thanks again.
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @boyloco.

I believe you should be fine if you upgrade the wireless adapter to AC and use 5.0.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation