Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Desktop Pavillion Elite e9220y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a Desktop Pavillion Elite e9220y Home Premium; win 7; 64 bit computer.

I'm hardwired; but have wireless for other things (Kindle, etc.)

When I open internet access from the taskbar, and under "Wireless Network Connection" I do see MY connection (and the name I gave my connection)  and 5 solid green bars (no problem there).

ABOVE that section, there is a section with a picture of a house (provided by HP I'm sure), and it says:

"Currently connected to:"

and directly beneath that it says: (to the right of the pic of the house) Network 5

and directly beneath that it says: internet access

It's underneath all that it lists the Wireless Network Connection with my name and names of other connections in the neighborhood.

My question:

where does the name 'Network 5' come from?

HP says it's from my cable provider; my cable provider says it's from HP.

can this be changed?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Denise,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with wireless networks.

Windows will think it's in a new network every time it detects a new router. If you've changed your router or router configuration. Windows will create a new network. But you don’t have to worry.

If you don’t want the connection name to be listed under active connection follow the steps.

1) Open the "Control Panel"

2) Select and open "Network and Sharing Center"

3) Click on the "Icon"(a house icon for me) under "View your active networks". This will open the "Set Network Properties" dialogue. Here you can rename a network connection or change the icon for that network connection.

4) Click on "Merge or Delete Network Locations" to see a list of stored network connections. You can merge or delete connections

Let me know if this helps.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! It was a very interesting and thought provoking question. Thank you for the post. I found a great response to your question authored by Dylan1999 on Tom's Hardware. Please visit this link: http://hp.care/2bGtZMB  Please reply back if you have any other questions. Good Day.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry  : (

that can't be it; as I said, it's a desktop; so it doesn't go anywhere

but thanks; anyway 

I don't know, would the answer still apply somehow?

I've only changed the router once over the years.....

thanks anyway  : )

Denise

HP Recommended

Hello Denise,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with wireless networks.

Windows will think it's in a new network every time it detects a new router. If you've changed your router or router configuration. Windows will create a new network. But you don’t have to worry.

If you don’t want the connection name to be listed under active connection follow the steps.

1) Open the "Control Panel"

2) Select and open "Network and Sharing Center"

3) Click on the "Icon"(a house icon for me) under "View your active networks". This will open the "Set Network Properties" dialogue. Here you can rename a network connection or change the icon for that network connection.

4) Click on "Merge or Delete Network Locations" to see a list of stored network connections. You can merge or delete connections

Let me know if this helps.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

to the HP agent:

I'm not having an 'issue with the wireless network'; I just had a question re the name; the wireless network is working fine.

I did not say I didn't want the 'connection name to be listed'; I was just wondering where the name came from...

but thanks for the instructions on how to change the name!!  : )

BUT waht will that 'do' to things if I follow your instructions to change the name to say just 'my network' ??

If I change the name, then will people have to 'reconnect' when they come to my house? and reenter password?

My simple question was "where does the name network 5 come from? but I think you answered it when you said:

'Windows will think it's a new network every time it detects a new router'

BUT, if that's the case, and if I've only had 2 routers, why does it say Network 5 then?

I've never changed the configuration (except maybe when...but even that not sure....the 2nd router was put in).

I guess this is progress! :Wink:

HP Recommended

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply Denise I understand your question and I have answered your question "Windows will think it's a new network every time it detects a new router or if any configuration changes are made to the router. Configuration changes could be made by your internet service provider depending on the issue with your network. So they have changed the settings so it shows Network 5 however you can rename the network and yes if anyone wants to connect your the network then they will have to select the network and type to the password to get connected. 

Hope this answers your query

Let me know if you have any other issues.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

thanks again for posting!

but, if I followed your steps what will that "do' to 'things' : ie: if Ichange the name to just say "my network"?

will people have to 'reconnect' when they come over? and reenter a password?

will I have to reconnect other devices?

thanks

lastly,

if I  follow the instructions (open control panel; select open network & sharing center; click on house icon and RENAME it) do I then just click 'ok'?

Or do I click merge or delete and then select one of those networks and do anything if I'm just changing the name?

thanks!!  :Wink:

HP Recommended

Hey there! Thanks for the reply Denise,

If you rename a network people who wants to connect to the network has to enter the password.

Select the network you need to rename right click and rename and click ok to save the network name.

Do not use merge or delete the networks. Merging is done only in the following situation.

Merging wireless networks is really most useful in a situation where there are many APs for the same network and you don't really care which you attach to -- like at a university if you are a student making wireless connections all over campus.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Have a great day!

Chetan

I am an HP employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

awesome! I think we're finally done  ; )

and all the questions are answered!

I clicked on the thumbs up....I don't know if that can be done for MORE than one of the posts?

and where is the solution button, to click that it's solved?

I don't see that?

thanks!

HP Recommended

I did go back in and found it; so I clicked on it;

but I meant to click on it under YOUR post; does that matter? I hope you get the credit!

if not, how do we fix that?

I didn't see that accept as solution on your prior post; but maybe that's because I was in reply mode??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.