Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received my laptop back from repair last week and was able to connect it to the internet and started to customize it.  I tried to uninstall McAfee and my system went haywire.  I had to do a factory reset in order to get it to come one.  Since then, I haven't been able to connect to any web pages.  I have 4 diferent browsers installed and none of them work.  They all say that my connection isn't secure.

I put it on my sister's wifi and it worked.  Brought it home. Nothing.  It worked just fine until I tried to uninstall McAfee.  I tried using an ethernet but so far that hasn't worked either.  All other devices in my household are on the Wifi and they work just fine.  Anyone have any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Gem0124,

After you ran the factory reset, is McAfee running as it should? It sounds like there is a conflict between your PC network settings and you anti-virus protection. 

Have you tried the Windows Network repair utility? Or have you gone into Wi-Fi settings to see if there are any connection issues?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

It keeps telling me that it can't identify the problem.  Under the publisher details, it tells me that it detects problems with network connectivity.

I discovered that if I attach the ethernet cord to my router and try to open a page, the page doesn't open.  I removed the ethernet cord and opened a browser and was able to get pages to load.  The only problem is that it doesn't stick.  When the computer restarts, the problem returns.

HP Recommended

Try running HP Support Assistant and scan for updated drivers. It's possible after running factory reset that you need to update drivers.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467905

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I scanned for drivers and it says everything is up to date.  I noticed that my network is configured as Public when it's actually private.  Windows 10 doesn't seem to give the option to make it private.  So i'm wondering if that's the problem.

HP Recommended

Hmmmm.....when you connected to your network, did you have to enter a password?

Have you tried forcing your PC to forget the network and then reconnecting to it?

HP Recommended

None of this worked.  I'm not sure what's wrong.

HP Recommended

Hi

Try to remove the offending program.  I use Ccleaner.

The insecure network message is probably accurate, some A/V, scanners and other helpful proggies point out the obvious.

So it is trying to get you to use something like a VPN, end to end encryption, sometimes a chargeable extra.

If I upgrade AVG to the pro version I can secure my internet traffic.

So you can accept the status quo, remove all and replace with another or whatever suits you..

AVG VPN offer.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.