Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

Its my first ever on any forum, anyways. 

I used to connect to the internet via a usb network adapter like the one (Tp-link usb) and everything was great.

Suddenly I started having severe speed and connectivity issues, and did not know what to do.

A friend gave me another way of connecting to the internet, which involves connecting my smart phone to the computer via the usb cable and then turning on the "USB Tethering" on the smart phone. When I tried this method, the internet would connect and I would get the same speed as before. however when I disconnect my smart phone and use the usb adapter, I dont get the speed again. The difference is so much that

when using my smart phone the download speed I get is   15.13 mbps

while when using the usb wifi adapter the speed I get is      0.41 mbps

I tried using the same usb wifi adapter on my laptop and on another desktop in my house and the speed is perfect there. Its just on my system. The problem is I cant always keep my smart phone connected to the computer.

Im in desperate need of help. 😞

Thank You

Hasan Mustafa

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

it must be a problem connecting to your WI-FI network...try rebooting the Router...and connect to it using a cable and test the speeds...on Wi-Fi you will always get poorer speeds comparing to a cable connection

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the reply.

Im pretty sure its not the wifi. Cause I use the same wifi on my phone and the same wifi gives proper speed on another computer..

HP Recommended

ok try and insert the wifi adapter into another USB port...and reinstall the drivers...this might help.

All the computers in your house have the same operating system?

Regards!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Reinstall the drivers of the usb usb wifi adapter? Ive done that.

No the other computers have windows 7, my computer has windows 10

HP Recommended

ok move the usb wifi adapter in another USB port..try a USB 2.0  and then a USB 3.0 port...and see if its the same speed on both.

Mike
HP Recommended

Tried that already, tried using the usb port on the back of the computer and then the ones on the front. Ill try that again though. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.