Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Slimline s3200n
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi,

does anyone know if the ethernet card is replaceable in this slimline desktop (Pavillion Slimline s3200n) ? The internet speed is all over the map but mostly slow. It looks likes it's integrated into the motherboard and the speed is only up to 100Mb/s. (10-Base- T Ethernet)

And if it is replaceable, can I replace with a higher standard?

Any other possible options to use or just time to replace the device?

Thanks in advance

Bas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Bas.

I didn't see the PCIe x1 slot listed, so it would be better if you got a gigabit PCIe x1 ethernet adapter.

Of course if you don't need the modem, you can keep the PCIex1 slot free for something else.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The onboard ethernet adapter is an integral part of the motherboard and cannot be removed and upgraded.

The product specs for your PC indicate that the internal PCI slot is occupied, so upgrading to an internal gigabit ethernet adapter is not possible unless you remove whatever is in the slot now...most lilkely is the modem.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01154945

So, if you don't need the modem, you can uninstall it in the device manager, then remove the hardware and install something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGE-530T-Gigabit-Desktop-Adapter/dp/B0000XKBQU/ref=sr_1_7?hvadid=78408...

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul!

I can confirm that I do not need the modem and it is plugged into the PCI  1 slot.  It looks like there is also a PCI E X16 slot open.

Thank you again.!!

Bas

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Bas.

I didn't see the PCIe x1 slot listed, so it would be better if you got a gigabit PCIe x1 ethernet adapter.

Of course if you don't need the modem, you can keep the PCIex1 slot free for something else.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I've got another question. I have removed the modem from the PCI slot. My questions are in regards to the PCI E x16 slot. This is listed on the motherboard specs in the link you provided. (The picture below is before I removed the modem)

Expansion slots:

1 PCI (white)

1 PCI E x16 slot for graphics card (black)

HP Slimline PCI slots.JPG

If I could install a PCI Express card, would there be any speed or other improvement by installing a PCI Express card versus a PCI card? 

My current internet plan is up to 300Mbps down/20 Mbps up. Windows 8.1, 4GB RAM. Not sure if other factors are involved.

The PCI interface version is 2.2.

Thanks in advance,

Bas

HP Recommended

Hi, Bas:

Since you can get a gigabit PCI ethernet adapter, it is kind of a waste using the PCIe x16 slot which is really for a graphics card to use for a PCIe x1 gigabit ethernet adapter.

PCI express is faster than PCI, but a gigabit card is a gigabit card regardless of what slot it goes into.

I was just thinking the modem is wasting resources since you don't use it.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul for your recommendation!

Bas

HP Recommended

Anytime, Bas.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.